• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution Publishing a game

S

Sanil

Hey there, so I was making this game on gamemaker 1 and i wanted to post a thread on it in the ongoing development section. But I soon saw a lot of people saying that publishing games on gamemaker 2 is illegal unless you buy it... now I am wondering as to whether or not can I publish my game on gamemaker 1... please help and keep in mind that this game was made for fun and not for selling

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can publish a game made with GM:S 1.4 or GMS2... there is nothing illegal about it from a YoYo Games point of view... Now, that said, GMS2 Trial (the free version) does not have any way to create a final executable for a game, so if you haven't bought it you can't LEGALLY publish a game, since you would need to try and "hack" the product. With GM:S 1.4 the free version permitted you to create executables for windows while GMS2 requires you to purchase at least the Desktop licence. So it's not that it's illegal to publish games with the free GMS2, it's that you can't publish games with it since the product itself doesn't permit it.

S

Sanil

ok so that means that game maker studio 1 is completely free to use and i can publish as many games as I want right??

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
ok so that means that game maker studio 1 is completely free to use and i can publish as many games as I want right??
The GMS 1.4 Standard version is completely free to use and you can publish as many games to the WIndows platform as you want with it. :)

Genetix

@Sanil in my own opinion - if you are seriously thinking about publishing a game, I would highly recommend purchasing the full standard build of GMS or GMS2. It is not that hard at all to earn back the cost of the software, and much more if you are serious about publishing a game. You can also feel good knowing that purchasing the software will help continue it's development and growth! I'm not tied to YoYo in anyway, just saying it is absolutely worth the price, unless you are still very new to game development and not quite ready to make the leap to finishing and publishing a game. The free version of GMS (1) should allow you to export to windows at least, although there are some limitations in what can be built that way (limited resources I believe).

Cpaz

@Sanil in my own opinion - if you are seriously thinking about publishing a game, I would highly recommend purchasing the full standard build of GMS or GMS2. It is not that hard at all to earn back the cost of the software, and much more if you are serious about publishing a game. You can also feel good knowing that purchasing the software will help continue it's development and growth! I'm not tied to YoYo in anyway, just saying it is absolutely worth the price, unless you are still very new to game development and not quite ready to make the leap to finishing and publishing a game. The free version of GMS (1) should allow you to export to windows at least, although there are some limitations in what can be built that way (limited resources I believe).
Of course this is ideal, but if it's a small project just to test the waters of development and publishing, I'd recommend using the free version of GMS 1.4 . If you decide this sort of thing is something you would want to get into say, full time, then you can upgrade to the paid version. I see no issues with that personally.

If you want to go big immediately, I would highly recommend upgrading first (1.4 or 2).

S

Sanil

Hey thanks for the advise but I am still just a student i.e. I still have studies so game making is more of a hobby for me