Distribution Published content appearing on other sites

Jezla

I realize this probably goes with the territory of releasing a game for free, but in my inexperience I'm curious how much of a problem this has been for others.

I published my game to itch.io last night, and this morning I received an account verification request from sDown.eu, as well as an email from them letting me know that my game was approved and published.

Since I hadn't heard of that site, I checked it out, and there was a page with my game, email, and a link to my itch.io page. I sent them a message asking them to remove the game and account since I hadn't created it.

I 'm wondering how common is this with free games (I'm aware this is the internet, after all), and how do you all deal with it? I realize I don't expressly forbid or permit people uploading my game elsewhere, but what bugs me is doing it with my handle and email; it seems shady.

SnoutUp

It is common, usually happens automatically, most frequently with mobile versions. For HTML5 sometimes people will ask for permission before rehosting and if you got a link back to your itch.io page - that's pretty damn rare!
I don't deal with it, nor do I really care. This is not something, where investing your time might be really worth it. But, of course, if they're messing up your game's search results by exploiting SEO - it can become a problem.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
This is extremely common, and not with just games. Sites like softonic have been making millions by doing just this for all kinds of software. The site gets loads of hits and makes money from ads to the detriment of the legitimate sites and developers. The only thing you can do really is what you have done and that's contact them and request that they remove it. Other than that you'd need to get legal advice from an expert in this field and see what else could be done.

JacPete

same happens to android games too, had a shock one day till SnoutUp and the others had explained to me what happens there.

Jezla

That's what I figured. I don't have time or money to lawyer up and chase people down. Heck, I'm happy if people play my game! I'd just prefer that they not create accounts in my name with my email address. Thanks for the responses.

SnoutUp

That's what I figured. I don't have time or money to lawyer up and chase people down. Heck, I'm happy if people play my game! I'd just prefer that they not create accounts in my name with my email address. Thanks for the responses.
The best thing you can do, if you haven't already, is adding splash screen with logo, a button linking to the main game page and maybe even a note saying this should be hosted on itch.io. That way, even if the game gets rehosted, some players might check out the directions & find you.

Jezla

Good suggestion, though the best I can probably do at this point is add copyright info to my start screen. Just to be clear, it's a windows exe file, not an html5 game, though I'll remember this for my suture projects!

YanBG

I haven't found a fake account, but the free alpha of my game is hosted on a torrent site, i don't care because all games end up there but when i release the final game i wouldn't want some older versions to surface and confuse people.