• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Publish to Nintendo Switch

G

Gun_Goose

Does anyone know if game maker 1.4 can publish to the Nintendo Switch? I understand that Game Maker studio 2 can publish to the switch, and that a game in game maker 1.4 could be brought into Game Maker studio 2. However, I really want to try to make a small 3d game, and GM 1.4 seems to have more support. I am not sure it would be possible to bring a 3d game from game maker 1.4 to GMS 2 without it breaking.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
This kind of answers itself... :p

Even if 1.x had a Switch export, you would not be able to purchase it anymore as 1.x related licenses are no longer being sold. Therefore, if it was possible for you to export to Switch using 1.x, you would already have the export and therefore know the answer.

So, no, that's not possible, mainly because 1.x doesn't have a Switch export. I also doubt that it has more support than 2.x - in fact, it has none at all - unless you were referring to existing assets or tutorials, which might be more numerous for 1.x for a while longer, but likely won't be in the future. 2.x is the way to go here.

L

Lonewolff

However, I really want to try to make a small 3d game, and GM 1.4 seems to have more support. I am not sure it would be possible to bring a 3d game from game maker 1.4 to GMS 2 without it breaking.
Not sure where you heard that one. GMS2 has exactly the same 'support'. Although function names have changed quite a bit in that area.

Compatibility scripts will automatically sort that out on import. But you often need to modify your camera system a little bit as GMS2 will generally invert your scene.

G

Gun_Goose

Thank you!

- Guess support isn't really the right word. I just meant that I could find more information about people working with 3d in 1.4.

L

Lonewolff

Thank you!

- Guess support isn't really the right word. I just meant that I could find more information about people working with 3d in 1.4.
Not so bad these days, plenty of us do it now. Just fire out any questions and you'll be surprised at how many replies you get from a 3D type question.