• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion PSA: GameMaker Can Process More than 5 Touch Points

TheMagician

For your information: Even though the manual doesn't mention this explicitly, GameMaker can process more than 5 touch points. I've tested this up to 10 on the UWP and HTML5 targets.

You may ignore the rest of this thread.

In my free time I help develop prototypes for a board game company that experiments with touch tables. The monitors they use in their tables can register up to 12 touch points.

For some games where more than 6 players sit around the table the 5 touch points in GMS put a limit on simultaneous gameplay.

Is there any chance that you increase the number of touch points that GMS can register to 10?

Last edited:

zbox

GMC Elder
Or get someone to write one for you ;)

Also though is that really the max?? I was sure I tested it and there was more at some point!! Maybe not so then...

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I'm just wondering if the 5-touch limit is an OS-mandated cap or just an fool-proofing cap. If it's the latter, I don't see why we couldn't lift it and also add device_mouse_count() to prevent ourselves from overstepping the bounds.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
@TheMagician @Roderick @zbox

This is one of the few times when I'd recommend independent investigation against the Manual's advice.

Here is a quick sampler that I whipped up for testing the 12 touches on TheMagician's table. It runs on my single-touch Windows PC without errors for going over 4, which looks promising as a starter. I look forward to hearing about the actual outcome.

zbox

GMC Elder
Cool - not hardware related because most phones today have at least 10 touchpoints

TheMagician

@FrostyCat

I haven't looked at your file but I did my own tests prior to posting on here. I used GMS 1.4 with the UWP target and the 12-point touch table. No touch is registered after the 5th one.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
@FrostyCat

I haven't looked at your file but I did my own tests prior to posting on here. I used GMS 1.4 with the UWP target and the 12-point touch table. No touch is registered after the 5th one.
Try the HTML5 export. I looked in debug and there doesn't seem to be a hard 5-input cap in the runner.

TheMagician

... I feel embarrassed ... I wrote the test program from scratch and what do you know - there is no hard upper limit to the number of touch points (tested on UWP and HTML5).

Thanks @FrostyCat for insisting :)