• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

PS4 DualShock 4 Suddenly not Working when connected by Bluetooth?

Hello, a PS4 controller I have has been working on my game, but, recently, within just a few days, I've noticed that it has just stopped working. I'm pretty sure the PS4 DualShock 4 itself is still working, because it connects to Windows 10 and in the debug log in GameMaker Studio 2, it shows the description of the PS4 DualShock 4, the GUID and that it has been connected to a player object. But, when I connected it by USB and the PS4 DualShock 4 works. At, first, I thought it was because of a new Runtime version, but I when back to a version I thought it worked on, but it still isn't working. There is just to input to the game when connected by Bluetooth. I've checked in other projects as well, so it's likely not a mapping issue.

Here are some things, I've checked:

PS4 DualShock 4 is charged
PS4 DualShock 4 itself sends input (only when connected by USB)
PS4 DualShock 4 is recognized by Windows 10 (by Bluetooth)
PS4 DualShock 4 is recognized by GameMaker Studio 2 (by Bluetooth)

Can anyone else confirm if the PS4 DualShock 4 is not working with their projects when connected by Bluetooth?

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I don't know since I've never used a Bluetooth setup. But...I would wonder, is the device showing up as the same actual gamepad ID? USB and Bluetooth are different interfaces, so it would make sense to me. It may not be relevant to the case at all honestly, but it's the first thing that comes to mind to me.

I don't know since I've never used a Bluetooth setup. But...I would wonder, is the device showing up as the same actual gamepad ID? USB and Bluetooth are different interfaces, so it would make sense to me. It may not be relevant to the case at all honestly, but it's the first thing that comes to mind to me.
This is what the log shows when connected by Bluetooth:

Assigned Pad 4 to Player 0
Sony DualShock 4
4c05c405000000000000504944564944

This is what the log shows when connected by USB:

Assigned Pad 4 to Player 0
Sony DualShock 4
4c05c405000000000000504944564944

I also tested it with your input system and it still doesn't give input when connected by Bluetooth.

It looks like GameMaker is still detecting the PS4 DualShock 4, since it's showing it's description. So, I don't know if it's a bug or a glitch in the PS4 DualShock 4. I've reset the PS4 DualShock 4 and disconnected it and reconnected it. But when connected by Bluetooth it still doesn't give input.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
That is pretty strange....sorry I couldn't help better. I'm guessing it is somehow stuck on the USB version. It may be something more with the input API that GM uses and not with GM itself.

That is pretty strange....sorry I couldn't help better. I'm guessing it is somehow stuck on the USB version. It may be something more with the input API that GM uses and not with GM itself.
Other controllers still work with Bluetooth. Including the PS5 DualSense Controller. The thing is, just about a week or so ago, the PS4 DualShock 4 was working just fine.

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Other controllers still work with Bluetooth. Including the PS5 DualSense Controller. The is, just about a week or so ago, the PS4 DualShock 4 was working just fine.
Then it may be something with that specific controller, especially considering it WAS working before. I would hope not, but things do break and stop working.

Then it may be something with that specific controller, especially considering it WAS working before. I would hope not, but things do break and stop working.
That's what I was thinking. But, it works when connected by USB and it is still detected by Windows and GameMaker. It seems like a technical or connection issue.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
That's what I was thinking. But, it works when connected by USB and it is still detected by Windows and GameMaker. It seems like a technical or connection issue.
But when connected via bluetooth, can you see the actual inputs change in the Windows gamepad dialog?

But when connected via bluetooth, can you see the actual inputs change in the Windows gamepad dialog?
It only shows input when connected by USB in the Windows input test. It appears it's not a GameMaker issue. But apparently, the Bluetooth is being read, since both Windows and GameMaker recognize the PS4 DualShock 4.

The thing I'm wondering about is if the PS4 DualShock 4 doesn't work in my project, does other PS4 DualShock 4 controllers, work? I currently only have one to test with with. But I wonder if others are not working?

Do you have the Steam Input Configuration thing running on your DS4? If so, maybe try disabling that and power cycling the DS4. I'm not going to make any promises, but I have heard that that can cause issues like you're having.

Do you have the Steam Input Configuration thing running on your DS4? If so, maybe try disabling that and power cycling the DS4. I'm not going to make any promises, but I have heard that that can cause issues like you're having.
No, I'm not using any other software for the PS4 DualShock 4. It used to just work when it was connected by Bluetooth.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
It only shows input when connected by USB in the Windows input test. It appears it's not a GameMaker issue. But apparently, the Bluetooth is being read, since both Windows and GameMaker recognize the PS4 DualShock 4.
Well, at the least we know it isn't Gamemaker itself. I guess the best bet would be to find someone to loan you another controller, or maybe send the build to someone who has one, and see if it stops working for them after some amount of time. I wish I had more experience with those but I don't.

Just tested the PS4 DualShock 4 with my Android phone and it's controlling actions on my phone. So, the PS4 DualShock 4 is in fact working. So, it looks more like it's a Windows issue. I also checked the Bluetooth drivers on Windows and it showed they were up to date.

breakmt

It seems that my Xbox controller doesn't work too. It is recognised by game itself, but almost every button doesn't work ("A", "B", "LB" works, arrows doesn't). With wired xbox controller everything is ok.
Also I tested it in Windows and Mac - same result.

It seems that my Xbox controller doesn't work too. It is recognised by game itself, but almost every button doesn't work ("A", "B", "LB" works, arrows doesn't). With wired xbox controller everything is ok.
Also I tested it in Windows and Mac - same result.
I wonder if it's a Windows Bluetooth driver issue? One of the newest updates might have caused issues.

Just to add, my Xbox One Controller is fully working. Do you have any custom mapping in your project? and have you tried it in a new project?

breakmt

I wonder if it's a Windows Bluetooth driver issue? One of the newest updates might have caused issues.

Just to add, my Xbox One Controller is fully working. Do you have any custom mapping in your project? and have you tried it in a new project?
No, I don't have custom mapping.
And I haven't tried this in new project... Maybe you have some sample project where I can check my controller?

O.Stogden

Windows itself can have issues with Bluetooth controllers.

Xbox One and Series controllers both have had recent issues with not being properly detected in Windows as an Xbox Controller, and instead reported as a generic Xinput device or a BLE Controller, which means they don't get configured properly in games that are searching specifically for Xbox controllers. They work fine over USB however. Playstation support is probably even more lacking than Xbox. If Steam is running, it can alter how controllers are detected and mapped, so you might want to have a look at that also.

I presume you're using official controllers? I know 3rd party controllers are fairly hit and miss when it comes to working with Game Maker games.

gnysek

Does this DS4 works with remote play using BT? If yes, then it's GMS which isn't able to find it (but Sony might be using some own way to detect it in Remote App). If it's not working in both, then it's either Windows or Sony fault.

breakmt

Attachments

Last edited:
This is strange. I have only one xbox controller connected via bluetooth, but it displays two. First one seems work fine (up/down works), second one doesn't...

Project is here: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/GJ6N/qS3gqeArx
Are you using a Xbox Series X|S Controller? I had the same issue. How I fixed it, was, as soon as the "Bluetooth LE XINPUT" was connected and assigned to a player object I disconnected the "Bluetooth LE XInput" device.

You could do something like:

GML:
var gp_description = gamepad_get_description(pad);

if (instance_exists(player[pad])) and gp_description == "Bluetooth LE XINPUT" {

with (player[pad]) {
        player[pad] = noone;
    }       
}
I have a different setup when connecting controllers, so, I don't know how you are connecting them, but what this basically does, is un assign the "Bluetooth LE XINPUT" device as soon as it is assigned to a player object. In your project it might not work, or if you create a player when a controller is connected, you might need to remove the player as well.

I don't know why it does that. As the Xbox One Controller didn't in my testing.