• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker Ps1 controller's dpad not recognized?

K

Karlabos

So I have a script called in the async system event.

The script goes more or less like this:
myup = gp_padu;
myshoot = gp_face1;

and so forth... I pass those constants to a variable depending on the user controller configuration.
Then the object calls something like this (for moving left, say)

if ( (upsetjoy=0)&&(keyboard_check(vk_left)) )||
( (upsetjoy = 1)&&(gamepad_button_check(unary,myleft)) ){
x-=myspeed;

}
here unary is the index of the 1st controller plugged in.

So this code works for every button of my ps1 controller (faces, shoulders and start) but it doesn't work for the dpad. The ifs when the button to check is gp_padl (or any of the 4) is never triggered. Then the character cannot move when upsetjoy is set to 1...

So what gives? Am I missing something here?

K

Karlabos

Silly question.. Do you have the ANALOG trigger activated?
Silly answer: Actually, no I didn't.

Well, I thought it should work without the analog but it turns out it's the opposite. Thanks. It's working just fine

cidwel

if I recall correctly, PS1 pad has 2 different button i/o mappings depending the analog switch. Maybe your driver is set to the mapping with the ANALOG button ON.
It's the same issue that some PSX games do not work with the ANALOG turned on. They are configured for a specific button mapping