Feedback Protectors of Kittaria

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by asollazzo, Jun 4, 2019.

1. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Hi Guys, Im Currently working on my first game after starting to learn programming 4-5 months ago. Ive probably put a solid 2-3 months into Protectors of Kittaria (name isnt set in stone yet) and have the base game coding sorted for the most part.

The game is essentially a top down shooter combined with a tower defense game and in some parts will be a tower offense game. Only single player is planned so far as i think co-op multiplayer might be out of my programming reach at the moment :)

Ive just started on producing some actual art now rather than my programmer art so should be able to start showing off alot more of the game.

Have a few images here showing a work in progress sketch of a level and then a mostly finished house (that will serve as the players hub), and then a also mostly finished player character and a short run animation :)

map.jpg
    house.jpg
    cat.jpg
    run.gif

I still need to sort out screencapping abit of actual gameplay and get it onto youtube, but until then im open to any crits you guys have of the stuff you see here :)

2. Kezarus

Kezarus Member

Hmm, nice art and animations. Congrats.

Top-down Shooter and Tower Defense are easy picks. My only suggestion is going for a small project at first.

Cheers!

3. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Thanks :) And yes i can already tell ive gotten myself in over my head atleast in regards to how long it will take to finish everything solo.

Kezarus likes this.
  4. Toque

Toque Member

I like the art style.

5. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Love the art style, but the mismatched perspective of the room and items on the second image does funny things to my brain!.

Keep up the good work.

6. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Yup that perspective is definitely wonky but was going for something along the lines of the nes/snes zelda games, i originally had it in correct orthographic projection but it somehow seemed weird gameplay wise to not be able to see all sides of a room and also sometimes enemies could hide behind foreground walls a little too much. Maybe ill have to figure out something in between the 2 styles.

7. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

So ive added an idle animation for the character for him facing forward and back. Do you guys think its needed to add some kind of transition animation between when you look from left to right and from up to down ?

idle2.gif

8. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

There's a definite mismatch for the perspectives. The character is nearly profile, straight on. One room is pseudo-topdown (like old-school Zelda games). And the other room is angled downward. They all look great, but they're also inconsistent. Not a bad thing. But it'd be ideal if your character art adapts to these differing perspectives. Which would actually be kind of cool.

9. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

The character was designed to pseudo match the grassy concept image at the top, most of the game will be in that perspective, i wanted to do interiors but also have all the interior walls visible so i thought it was an ok compromise. Id love to have the character be able to change perspective per scene too but it will have to come later on in development i think since that would require redrawing all the character art/animations :)

Anyways heres something new to look at :

knocked.gif

10. mikix

mikix Member

I like the interior. But all of the art is really at the top.

11. Eriksaw

Eriksaw Member

Keep up the good work. Really like the design of that kitty :)

12. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Thanks guys, heres something new to look at :)

[​IMG]

Deadly Serious Media likes this.
  13. Deadly Serious Media

Deadly Serious Media Member

Really liking the clean art and animations! Very slick so far.

14. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

After getting some help on the forums ive gotten most of my current animations nicely blended, so heres some progress :)

[​IMG]

15. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

The animations are done so well. Looking great.

16. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Working on a new attack/weapon, other than the kitty all the art is placeholder but his animations are in and the code for the attack is pretty much there.

[​IMG]

17. Siolfor the Jackal

Love the ear wiggle. Well done. The attack looks great, I can already imagine a few ways the final version could look!

18. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Made some progress getting the movement animation and code abit smoother (i had some issue with camera moving before/after the character that was making the movement a little jerky but fixed now). Also reworked the footstep animation and added some extra dust when you roll (looks a little funny in low framerate gifs, if anyone has advice on some better format for showing motion than gif let me know !).

[​IMG]

Also finished up the art for another weapon, there will be a wide range of weapons from different time periods :) Just posting now i noticed a depth issue with the player beam going under the bot's shadow heh. Any Spine gods around that know if its possible to draw a single spine slot at a different depth to the rest easily ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  19. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

I'm going to guess that you'll have to do a second draw function specifically for the shadows so that they are sorted at the same 'depth' below other non-terrain sprites/tiles.

20. Kezarus

Kezarus Member

Nice animations! How can you point the gun like you did using Spine?

21. Siolfor the Jackal

Your animations are looking great, I'm so jealous haha.
    That energy beam looks sooo good too. I love a good energy beam.

22. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Yup i was planning to have the shadows controlled within spine to have them match the animations but i guess i can make all the non player characters just draw their own shadow via gms.

In spine i have a bone that sits where the gun will be, the gun is attached to that and also the 2 ik for the hands to make the arms follow the gun. The gun bone also has an ik controlling it so when u set the position of that ik in gms to follow the cursor the gun/hands also follow :)

Kezarus and rIKmAN like this.
  23. Kezarus

Kezarus Member

Wow, thanks! I knew nothing about it. It's an iteresting reading and will help a lot on my next games. Thanks! =]

Keep up the good work on Kittaria! Animations are amazing!

asollazzo likes this.
  24. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Thanks :) And yes spine is pretty great if youre looking to make alot of animated non-pixel art stuff :)

Siolfor the Jackal and Kezarus like this.
  25. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

New update, finished up work on another weapon/spell, took a little longer than expected to draw explosion animation. Is the paw print within the explosion(not the crater) visible enough ?

[​IMG]

26. Kezarus

Kezarus Member

Wow, awesome effects. Love the "charging" like effect. Pawn fingers lighting up, a circle completing. Very nice.

Yep, the flame paw is pretty much visible. =]

asollazzo likes this.
  27. Siolfor the Jackal

Very cool. The paw print is the first thing I noticed!

Kezarus likes this.
  28. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

So i took the advice of some of you guys about the wonky perspective of the interiors and redid the art/camera angle, also implemented a very simple lighting system :)

Youtube quaity is abit blurry but owell.

29. Kezarus

Kezarus Member

This is art. Wow.

asollazzo likes this.
  30. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

That looks so much better with the new perspective in my opinion, my brain approves of the change! Haha.

That really is some high quality artwork, very nice!

asollazzo and Kezarus like this.
  31. spoonsinbunnies

spoonsinbunnies Member

I literally signed in just to say how much I love the art of this, keep up the good work.

asollazzo likes this.
  32. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Thanks guys, the way im creating the art is a little time consuming so im glad its turning out well :)

Siolfor the Jackal and Kezarus like this.
  33. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Kitty shops at s-mart and now has a boomstick !

34. Siolfor the Jackal

Looks great and love the reference

Kezarus likes this.
  35. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Yet another new weapon added, will probably switch over to doing some level art next just to have more variety to show :)

Would love some feedback, positive or negative is fine !

CMAllen and Kezarus like this.
  36. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Ok i lied about working on level art next, quickly made his teleport/speed item.

CMAllen likes this.
  37. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Forgot to implement the secondary fire for the rocket launcher, so here it is :)

CMAllen and Simon Gust like this.
  38. asollazzo

asollazzo Member

Seems im stuck making items for now. New one that is meant as a homage of sorts to the snes zelda sword with some added fancyness. Not entirely happy with the sword trail i created, it doesnt really smoothly fade between steps, so if anyone has advice on how to create a juicy one let me know :) (drew a primitive between the end of the sword and tip and their respective positions on the previous step)