• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Jam proposal

M

Misty

My proposal is a better GMC Jam player. Something you can give a score from 0 to 100.
Like 99, 98 etc. And it gives a Student Score, like A+, B+, etc. This is sane and rational to me.

Because otherwise, people have to sort the order manually, which is draining and tedious. The new jam player should auto-sort ranking. We are seeing evidence that people simply do not have the energy to order and sort all the games manually.

Also, there should be 4 new categories, like gamespot. Gameplay, Graphics, Sound, Atmosphere (atmosphere accounts for story, immersion, and theme).
Each takes 25% of score weight. And is rated 0 through 10.
So if you give gameplay a 5, it will add 5*25/10=12.5
So if gameplay is 5, graphics is 10, sound is 10, atmosphere is 10, the final score of the game would be
87.5 B+.

Also, would be nice is a screenshot/thumbnail of each game, as well as a search engine to easily find the game via name or author. Thumbnails would not be mandatory, but you could add it and it would show up in the Jam player.

curato

I have to admit that is why mine doesn't have a first to last ranking on my post. I assumed that is why I was clicking poor ok good etc and it would export my rankings to review. I had a plan for that before I tried the player but now if I add that to my post, I have to go through everything again to re score them.

Dr. Wolf

(shouldn't this be in the Jam forum...?)

If something like this is implemented, please make it optional. I don't believe that the overall quality of a game is equal to the sum of its quality in various categories. Sometimes, the game that's actually the most rewarding to play isn't the most well-rounded. Different designs and different genres rely on the different disciplines to very different degrees. Also, it's common for games to have-- or lack-- a "certain something" that's hard to fit into any particular category, but makes all the difference to whether or not it's actually a good game. In order to be able to give games the rankings I believe they deserve, I need to be able to order the games manually, because no automatic system can capture what I feel really ought to be a holistic rather than a formulaic evaluation.

M

Misty

(shouldn't this be in the Jam forum...?)

If something like this is implemented, please make it optional. I don't believe that the overall quality of a game is equal to the sum of its quality in various categories. Sometimes, the game that's actually the most rewarding to play isn't the most well-rounded. Different designs and different genres rely on the different disciplines to very different degrees. Also, it's common for games to have-- or lack-- a "certain something" that's hard to fit into any particular category, but makes all the difference to whether or not it's actually a good game. In order to be able to give games the rankings I believe they deserve, I need to be able to order the games manually, because no automatic system can capture what I feel really ought to be a holistic rather than a formulaic evaluation.
Fine, but games still need to have an absolute score, which would be sorted by the machine.

Example: If you rate a game 98, and another game 87, in no case should the 87 game appear higher in the final ranking.