• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Proper Method To Backup/Restore Android Private Keystore?

J

JeZxLee

Hi,

I've been using GameMaker:Studio for some time now but am confused about something greatly.
How does one backup and restore the Android private keystore information?

Like if you do a complete reinstall of Windows and GameMaker:Studio, how can you restore Android building?
(for an existing GameMaker:Studio Android project)

The Android private keystore is ridiculously important because without it you can't upload an update
to your Android game on Google Play...

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

gnysek

I've made a copy of my .keystore file and screenshot of settings screen (with password displayed). That's probably the only option, since without password .keystore will be still not usable.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
You just need to keep the keystore file and all the information used to create it (so just as Piotr said above, take a screenshot of the dialog and the .keystore).

Russell

J

JeZxLee

Hi,

OK, so I backup the Android private keystore file and take a screenshot of the Android tab with passwords shown.
I think I understand that, the thing I don't understand totally is how to restore the Android private keystore?
On a fresh GameMaker:Studio what are the steps to restore the Android private keystore?
Thanks!

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Click the browse button on the filename and select your .keystore file, then set the information up as in the dialog (but don't hit create keystore)

Russell

G

Gabriel

I have two copies of they keystore file stored on Google Drive. Cloud services are always the best method to keep stuff safe.

W

WWAZman

I have two copies of they keystore file stored on Google Drive. Cloud services are always the best method to keep stuff safe.
(...quietly hacks Gabriel's cloud and deletes keystore...)

:D

Myself? I don't trust the Cloud. I trust hard drives. and many many backups.

gnysek

I'm keeping them on Google Disk. Since I have enabled double-step verification, it's 99% safe, and even if somebody will steal keystore from there that doesn't matter, since with my google access he can also manage my developer account.