• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Promo codes and exclusive content

M

mrjonwc

I would like to release my free to play app with promo codes that allowed access o exclusive content? Is this possible? I have no knowledge on promo codes or how to even program them is there tutorials I can read online? Thanks!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Itchio lets you generate this kind of stuff really easily with unique download link you can set to 'must be claimed to use', and you can generate batches with hundreds of them with a special tool. Not sure about how Apple handles stuff in their marketplace.

If you want a promo code system where people just enter a keyword, there are prebuilt game maker functions for that like get_string()
If you want more advanced promo codes for instance that can be used a fixed number of times, you'll need to study the API of the websites you upload it on.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you want a promo code system where people just enter a keyword, there are prebuilt game maker functions for that like get_string()
BAAAAAAAD idea since if the code gets shared, EVERYONE can access the promo stuff... rendering it moot. You could of course pretend you're checking a server or something while you're just comparing string literals, but chances are you get a bad reputation if word about that gets out. (Not like I'd expect a lot of hackers to dig into it at this point, but you never know...)

There could also be some kind of promo code generation that depends on environment_get_variable("USERNAME") :) i'm a big fan of this function :eek:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Too bad it's Windows-only and the OP is making a mobile app.