• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

SOLVED projects constantly reload assets

Avram

Hi everyone,

I've recently switched to an MSI GE75 Raider laptop with the following specs:

RAM - 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
PROCESSOR - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz

Any time I add a new sprite or object to a project, even if it's a new project, I get GameMaker popups like the following:

Screenshot 2021-11-29 182350.png

Does anyone know how to correct this? Am I not allocating enough memory to GameMaker? If so, how do I give more memory to GameMaker?

Thank you.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
NEVER put active GMS 2 projects in a directory that is managed by an automatic cloud drive sync service like Dropbox or OneDrive. That popup is the tell-tale sign of that service trying to screw with your project files. Move all working copies out of that D:\Storage directory, and learn to use proper source control.

kingyo

Assigning and determining the cause and pointing out that it is a mistake made by the person asking the question may not help the person in need.
I suffered from the exact same problem for a long time in previous versions, even though I didn't use any of the directories you mention.
It would be very useful information to mention it as one of the possibilities.

kingyo

In my case, I wasn't using anything that monitored files or directories.
I was advised by Prefference to change the settings of File Watch, but I just couldn't solve the problem. This continued for several versions.
cap1.PNG
However, after updating to one version, the problem disappeared. I have not done anything about it. I didn't do anything, I didn't change the location of the project.
I thought at the time that the problem was solved by improving an internal problem in GMS.

Avram

Thanks, FrostyCat, and thank you, kingyo for weighing in.

So yes, I'm saving to my D: drive which is connected to Google Drive. What's strange is that when I did the same on my older Macbook Pro laptop this issue never occurred. Regardless, I'll move it out of the online storage and learn about source control. Thank you for the link!

rIKmAN

Is there a reason why Google Drive, Dropbox, etc, causes this issue?
Because services like those regularly check/access/sync files between your PC and the cloud, this causes GMS to react as the file watcher catches the activity and reports that there have been changes made to the project files.

It's fine to make a backup of your project and then store that archive there (zip/rar/yyz etc) but working directly from a cloud drive isn't advisable and the worst case scenario is your project becoming corrupted and you having no backup - because you thought working from the cloud was your backup.

Look into proper Source Control, it might sound daunting at first but it's really not any harder than making manual backups, especially if you use one of the external GUI programs that simplify everything to be a few button clicks and almost as easy as copying things to a cloud drive.