• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows ProJect -Y- (Action RPG, side scroller)

T

TheMazurkanator

Project Y cover.jpeg

>Project -Y-, wth is it?

Project -Y- is a semi-open world, story driven 2d action rpg (there isn't any exp mechanic, however.)

>Sounds more like a metroidvania platformer then an rpg, what are you rambling about?

It has these elements, but there are ways of progressing your character (augments you collect); everything (you, enemies, allies) in the game has an HP (and energy\stamina) bar, so it definitely has rpg elements.

>What's the status of this game that nobodies ever heard of (and probably never will)?

BEHIND, I've actually had the idea cooking in my head since 2011, but due to some extreme personal setbacks, my team (me) hasn't been able to do much work on anything. I have the mechanics fully realized in my head (along with the story), but a sad combination of my experience with code (none) and finances (nadda) means that this beast (hopefully) of a game will take some time to develop.

>So why are you showing it off now if it won't be ready until the next election!?
Personal decision, I'm gonna go crazy if I keep my idea for a game cooped up in my head for another six years. Figured I'd take it outside for a little bit. Nothing would make me happier then to have a (decent) demo working by the mid of 2017.

>You have the mechanics thought out? How would they play in the actual game?

The overall feeling I'm going for is one of brutality; confrontations with enemies will be fairly brief for either side (in order to accommodate for this, there will be a healthy number of checkpoints). The combat is focused on knowing how to balance your four types of moves; melee, ranged, tether and guarding. Some enemies are too heavily armored for your guns to damage them, you must use swords to cut through these enemies; some enemies deploy shields that you can't damage with either weapon, so you'll have to tether the shields away from them at a distance. Guarding works either as a parry or a hold stance (tapping the button activates a parry, this move deflects all damage meant for you (including bullets, rockets, lasers) and inflicts a massive amount of damage on your attacker. By holding the button (and entering a guard stance), you'll be unable to parry (or deflect ranged attacks, or move actually) but it will significantly reduce the amount of damage inflicted on you.)

These moves can also combo into each other; tether an enemy, send them flying towards you, riddle them with bullets as they approach, cut them in halve as they hit the ground (you'll be rewarded with extra Decca, the ingame currency, for pulling off moves like this.) "Stances" play an extremely important part of this combo system (as it takes roughly a second to switch between melee and ranged weapons.)

Dual welding the same type of weapon (2 swords or 2 guns) gives you 2x the amount of damage, but causes a delay when trying to switch out your current attack
-shooting at a flying drone for extra damage when an enemy runner decides to rush you; try to melee but while switching between weapons the enemy skewers you- (also should be noted that guns cannot be used to guard or parry, so trying to guard while holding guns will cause roughly a second delay in your action)

Holding a gun in one hand and a sword in the other makes it possible to switch and combo attacks at will, but deals less damage with each individual hit. Best stance for combos (combos = decca = augments\weapons = happiness?)

Just holding one gun or one sword gives you the disadvantages of both system, but frees your second hand (so you can tether faster while attacking, or hang from a ledge and attack, or swing from a rope and attack at the same time.) It also decreases the amount of time needed to reload guns (though this is likely obvious)

Although the game is a 2d-sidescroller, the maps I've scribbled on spare printing paper should allow for various tactics to be used (or, in some cases, just avoiding enemies entirely)

>"A feeling of brutality" will it have blood?

Yes.

>Will there be sidequests?

There will be NPCs and sidequests in quite numerous spades actually (I've already written more then a few subplots) I intend for there to be thirteen chapters, and for each chapter to have it's own sidequests (these sidequests vanish when you clear a chapter -as they are directly tied into the main plot and would feel very weird if you could play them after certain events- but fear not, after you clear the game you can revisit any chapter to clear any quests you may have missed, or screwed up.)

>What do you mean by "screwed-up", how can you screw up a sidequest?

I intend for some to have multiple endings :)

>Aside from the main quest and side-quests, what else is there to see and do in the world?

Lore drops, augments, hidden weapons and hidden bosses.

>What sort of soundtrack are you aiming for?

Mostly 80s electronic with a bit of a metal flare; fortunately I have a friend who is willing to help me with the sound design (and game design aspects) so I'm not entirely alone :)

>What made you want to make games?

Autism.

>What made you want to do this thread?

See the answer above.

>Any closing thoughts for everyone out there?

This is an EXTREMELY ambitious project for me (something that's been exhausting to work on, especially considering that I'm doing this on my days off, this is not a crowdfunded game) I feel awful that I really don't have much to show for my efforts, but any sort of input or thoughts on this project would be deeply appreciated :)