• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Project Saving Bug?

ophelius

I updated GM to the latest version: IDE 2.3.7.603, RT 2.3.7.474. When it started, I opened my project and started coding. I noticed an hour later that I accidently opened my backup version instead of my real version. No problem, I wanted to re-save my hour's worth of work to my regular non-backup folder, so I chose Save Project As, and chose the folder where my main project resides. It asked me, "are you sure, it will delete everything". I thought, ok, makes sense, I was thinking it just meant it will 'replace' everything, so I chose ok.
I went to look in the main project folder and there was no longer any files in the sub folders. It actually did erase everything. So I slowly manually copied my backup folder to my main folder and replaced everything, feeling I could have lost everything.
So, was this a bug? Why did it delete everything when I was just trying to save the whole project to that folder? Fortunately nothing was lost, and I added a 2nd backup device just in case since then.
Thought I'd share this experience. Thanks

Edit: I have to state how important proper backup is. I've been working on this game for 1.5 years now. Losing it would have been a heart-breaking disaster