• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Project possibly corrupt after update

Santhrel

Was wondering if anyone might know if there is an issue with projects becoming corrupt after the newest patch. Everything was fine i was testing out some code i just put in for my character editer menu hit the run game to see how it was doing and it made my computer crash and restart. I dont think it was my code because after i restarted my computer and checked my code the code i applied before the crash was not there but it was weird because as soon as i hit run that is when my computer crashed so im thinking it was my code and now my project is corrupted in some way.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Make a backup of your project.

I find it hard to imagine that you accidentally programmed something that causes a system to crash. I'd have a hard time intentionally programming something in GML that makes my system crash (without using fullscreen functions because that's a surefire crash and is, therefore, cheating), to put that into perspective.

Does the same thing happen when you run your project now? If not, does your project exhibit any other signs of being corrupted?

If not, chances are that was just a random occurrence and the crash was set off by you compiling the game, but not directly caused by it - e.g. running out of memory.

Santhrel

yes it still says it cannot open project ive even tried a different version of the IDE yeah a backup of the project would have been key i feel dumb for that

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Knowing exactly what it says rather than a paraphrasing will be very helpful in providing further directions.

If you open the project file (.yyp) in a text editor, what do you see? Does anything look "obviously wrong" in there?

Santhrel

this recovered all but a couple of objects this worked great thank you so much for helping this lowly noob i was not worthy of you and your awsomeness!!

P.S. Sorry for my great spelling must have been so easy to read.

rIKmAN

this recovered all but a couple of objects this worked great thank you so much for helping this lowly noob i was not worthy of you and your awsomeness!!

P.S. Sorry for my great spelling must have been so easy to read.
Let this be a prod to make you start backing up regularly, preferably using Source Control.