• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Project not compiling after update

konjecture

I filed a bug report (even though it said my ui.log did not upload correctly). My project doesn't compile anymore when it was compiling just fine 7 hours ago before the new update. Here is what it says in the output window when I debug-compile it

GML:
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/Battle_Sys_29E61014_FF2A5EE6\MainOptions.json
[Debugger]target=127.0.0.1,yydebug="Y:/Battle_System_2.3_64BE8ED5_VM\Battle System 2.3.yydebug"
X://windows/Runner.exe  -game "Y:/Battle_System_2.3_64BE8ED5_VM\Battle System 2.3.win"
Executing:wmic process call create "X:\\windows\Runner.exe  -game "Y:\Battle_System_2.3_64BE8ED5_VM\Battle System 2.3.win"","Y:\Battle_System_2.3_64BE8ED5_VM"
Invalid format.

Hint: <paramlist> = <param> [, <paramlist>]
It then popups a window saying that the Debugger cannot connect and gives me the option to Keep trying or Abort Connection. Should I revert back to the previous version?

konjecture

Okay I reverted back to 2.3.2.560 and everything is working as intended and compiling fine. So there is definitely some issue with the latest update that is preventing the game from compiling.

Check out this post by Tsuka in another thread about having spaces in your path/project name:
See if removing the spaces fixes the problem for you.

chamaeleon

I'm not fond of seeing strings like "something"something else"", and expecting the "something else" part to be treated as part of the string, rather than something else outside the string (making it quite possibly a malformed complete expression) followed by an empty string. This kind of issue has seemingly been the case with a shell script file for iOS (and maybe OSX) builds as well.

konjecture

Check out this post by Tsuka in another thread about having spaces in your path/project name:
See if removing the spaces fixes the problem for you.
So should I just rename my project i.e. save under a new name with no spaces in between?

konjecture

Okay I did that and it seemed to have resolved that issue, but now it shows a runtime error similar to the other thread that you linked.

GML:
Igor complete.
[Run] Run game
Options: Z:/Cricket_Ga_86BCEC8C_83C4D9E6\MainOptions.json
[Debugger]target=127.0.0.1,yydebug="Y:/Cricket_Game_7E22B597_VM\Cricket_Game.yydebug"
X://windows/Runner.exe  -game "Y:/Cricket_Game_7E22B597_VM\Cricket_Game.win"
Executing:wmic process call create "X:\\windows\Runner.exe  -game "Y:\Cricket_Game_7E22B597_VM\Cricket_Game.win"","Y:\Cricket_Game_7E22B597_VM"
Executing (Win32_Process)->Create()

Method execution successful.

Out Parameters:
instance of __PARAMETERS
{
    ProcessId = 16216;
    ReturnValue = 0;
};

X:\\windows\Runner.exe DONE (0)
Igor complete.
elapsed time 00:00:04.0160072s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.3.3.434/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\Ankan\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run started at 07/13/2021 16:36:04
"cmd"  /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0588416s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 07/13/2021 16:36:08
"cmd"  /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0588677s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 07/13/2021 16:36:08
"cmd"  /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0608112s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 07/13/2021 16:36:08
SUCCESS: Run Program Complete
In the debugger it says the error is when it tries to import some data from a CSV file at the start of the game. My game is a sports game, so it imports team data from a CSV file at the start of the game.

1626219997369.png

And here is the code for the import_team_properties function. Did saving the game with a different name mess up the path? All these CSV files are in their respective folders inside the datafiles folder.

Code:
// Import Team properties
function import_team_properties(){

//var stats_dir = "Stats/"
    global.team_properties = load_csv(working_directory + global.stats_dir + "/team_properties.csv")

for(var i = 0; i < ds_grid_height(global.team_properties)-1; i++){
        global.team_names[i] = global.team_properties[# team_prop.name, i+1]
    } 

}
Note that all of this was working fine 7 hours ago before the latest GMS2 update.

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Remove any mention of working_directory. That's a pandora's box you don't want to poke with a stick unless you have to, which, most of the time, you don't.

What's the value of global.stats_dir? Preferably output the path directly before that line. Does this line up with the path you're expecting, and is that path also the actual path of the file?

konjecture

global.stats_dir is just the string "stats/". This just contains the name of the folder (stats in this case) inside which resides the team_properties.csv file. The folder stats/ is inside the datafiles folder. The annoying and weird part is everything was working fine before this update.

konjecture

Okay I don't know what is this voodoo, but it suddenly seems to be working again. I did not change anything. The working_directory command is still there.

Edit - I spoke too soon. I closed GMS 2 and then opened it again, and now when I compile it, it gives the same error.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Please make a copy of the project before modifying it any further, file a bug report and attach the copy so that this can be tracked and fixed. Voodoo magic was not supposed to be released until version 2.6.6.6.

konjecture

You must be new to software. That's the normal part. :D

Does file_exists agree that this file is visible to your game?
You are correct that GM does not think the file exists. I asked it to output a message if the file path existed and it did not. I removed the working_directory phrase and it still did not output the string. It gives the same error that Data Structure with index does not exist. Did they change how the file and directory structure works? How should then I load a CSV file with name "team_properties.csv" which is inside the stats folder that is inside the datafiles folder ?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Did they change how the file and directory structure works? How should then I load a CSV file with name "team_properties.csv" which is inside the stats folder that is inside the datafiles folder ?
Just to make sure, your project structure looks exactly like this?
GML:
Cricket_Game
│   Cricket_Game.yyp
├───datafiles
│   └───stats
│       └───team_properties.csv
Nothing was changed as far as I'm aware. That should be the same as always: "stats/team_properties.csv".

chamaeleon

Have you find a solution to this problem?
Which problem? The first post in this thread is about the invalid command line, the last few messages are about runtime errors perhaps related to failing to load file. I'd suggest you create your own thread with a detailed description of the problem as you are experiencing it yourself.

yeo

> You are correct that GM does not think the file exists. I asked it to output a message if the file path existed and it did not. I removed the working_directory phrase and it still did not output the string. It gives the same error that Data Structure with index does not exist. Did they change how the file and directory structure works? How should then I load a CSV file with name "team_properties.csv" which is inside the stats folder that is inside the datafiles folder ?

> Note that all of this was working fine 7 hours ago before the latest GMS2 update.

This problem.

yeo

> I'd suggest you create your own thread with a detailed description of the problem as you are experiencing it yourself.

I have the same problem and I'm asking the post starter about it. Should I private message him to not angry other forum members? I can't get how this forum works at all.

chamaeleon

> I'd suggest you create your own thread with a detailed description of the problem as you are experiencing it yourself.

I have the same problem and I'm asking the post starter about it. Should I private message him to not angry other forum members? I can't get how this forum works at all.
No, you don't have to private message anyone. Just click on GameMaker studio 2 community tech support, then click the post thread button. Fill in a brief descriptive subject, then type your message and include any compilation output in the console in the post.

yeo

> No, you don't have to private message anyone. Just click on GameMaker studio 2 community tech support, then click the post thread button. Fill in a brief descriptive subject, then type your message and include any compilation output in the console in the post.

Done.