• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion "Project Modified" error in GMS 2 since v2.0.4.64

D

Dani

Hello!

Since the last version of GMS 2, I'm getting the following "Project Modified" error each time I create a new resource (a sprite, a room, etc.):

gms2-error.png

There are two options: "Reload" or "Save". It doesn't matter which one I use, the error keeps appearing when I try to add new resources. And, by the way, the "Save" options takes a lot of time to complete.

Also, the laptop fans are going to explode. Now they're constantly running, even if I'm doing nothing within the IDE.

Thanks.

Dani

Ito

I'm getting the very same issue. I'm getting it even if all I do is changing one already existing resource.

And yes, choosing save means crossing your arms for like 2 minutes.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Please file a bug report about this, as that is not something we are seeing

include your CPU type and type of hard disk setup you have

I suspect a DxDiag output would be handy

Russell

I

izark

I have exactly the same problem, but It shows up very sparingly and I don´t know what its effects are since I click on save.

gnysek

I think that it happens for bigger projects, if you save/modify resource, while project was already saving (so it tries to access file which is already opened). I have this bug especially when using git. For example, creating two groups in resource tree, without giving them a name is a fast modification, while having 500 resources *.yyp file is still saving.

I've already reported it.

Last edited:
D

Dani

@gnysek I suppose you mean "bigger projects". If that's the case, I can confirm that my project is big (i.e., it has a lot of resources). And I can also confirm that @Ito 's project is bigger. So, yes, maybe that's the issue. But this problem is only happening since the latest update (in my case).

I would suggest YoYo Games to create a big project filled with lots of placeholder resources just for testing purposes (if they haven't created one yet).

P

psyke

This is happening to me a lot in the newest version as well, didn't happened on the previous version.

System:
Windows 10 64 Bits.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We have found a case where this is happening and are looking at a fix now, it may make the same hotfix that we are working on for the CPU issues (not promising that though)

Russell

Ednei

We have found a case where this is happening and are looking at a fix now, it may make the same hotfix that we are working on for the CPU issues (not promising that though)

Russell
Any prediction for a new update? Thank you.

D

Dani

Hello again!

Is this going to be fixed anytime soon? Because right now it's simply impossible to work, with that error pop up showing up all the time, and the computer fans about to explode. At least you could let us revert back to the previous version of GMS 2 while you fix the issue. I understand this is a beta version, but I would really appreciate having that option.

Thanks.

D

Dani

Ok, the fan problem has been fixed.

Unfortunately, the "Project Modified" window keeps appearing when I create resources of any kind, even when creating groups. Could it be a corrupted project file or something like that? When is that "Project Modified" exception triggered internally? What are the conditions for that window to appear?

Thanks.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We have found an issue as you describe when running on a slower machine/HD, but this one will take a little longer to test and so could not make this build I'm afraid.

Can I ask what the spec of your PC is?

D

Dani

Sure, it's an Acer laptop:

Acer Aspire V 17 Nitro (VN7-791G-79JA)
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 840M with 2 GB VRAM
16 GB DDR3 L Memory
128 GB SSD + 2000 GB HDD

Some results from DxDiag:

dxdiag-info.png

I hope that helps.

As said, this issue didn't happen in the previous version (the one previous to 2.0.4.64), so it may be related to some new code you introduced in 2.0.4.64. I suppose the problem happens when the project tries to save resources on disk, so maybe the issue is somewhere in the save project system and code.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dani

More info:

This issue is not happening on another of my GMS 2 projects, which is very small. The issue happens in the big project I'm currently working on. This big project currently has:

281 objects
67 rooms
436 scripts
257 sounds
907 sprites
50 tilesets

Maybe that helps.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Thanks for that.

Mmmm...ok. we've only managed to reproduce it on a really old, slow laptop. Anything faster and it's not happening. Still... if it's the same issue, it's being looked at now.

WarpDogsVG

I also get this issue ever since the x.64 update. My laptop is definitely on the newer side, and GMS2 is installed to a speedy SSD. I'd say it happens about 1-2 times an hour of heavy usage, typically right after a run

My project doesn't feel all that big, but who knows? I do use a lot of groups

* Win10 64bit
* i7-6700 @ 2.6ghz
* 16gb RAM
* GeForce GTX 970M

gnysek

I have this issue on:

Win10 64
i7-6700
8GB ram
Intel® HD Graphics 530 + NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 950M

And even dragging resource in resource tree makes GM:S hangs for 20-30 seconds, while it's saving project, and about 20% of those saves finishes with "error: cannot save files" or "files on disk were changed externally, reload or save?" (while in fact only GMS2 changed them). It looks that concurrent save operations may happen.

WarpDogsVG

gynsek, you said you're using git - are you using it integrated with the IDE, or via a separate app or command line?

I'm also using git and use SourceTree to manage it + remote pushes. I definitely am not doing any git commands when i encounter the errors, but...well, that's one common thread between us. That and our specs are strikingly similar.

I

izark

About the original problem "project modified" error. I get it every time I modify an external .ini file from included files and save it. After it is saved, the warning pops up.

babyjeans

About the original problem "project modified" error. I get it every time I modify an external .ini file from included files and save it. After it is saved, the warning pops up.
That actually seems like the INTENDED purpose of the warning. You did modify a file outside of the IDE.

gnysek

gynsek, you said you're using git - are you using it integrated with the IDE, or via a separate app or command line?

I'm also using git and use SourceTree to manage it + remote pushes. I definitely am not doing any git commands when i encounter the errors, but...well, that's one common thread between us. That and our specs are strikingly similar.
Yes, I'm using SourceTree or pure git in command line.

D

Dani

Any news on this issue? I'm a bit tired, GMS 2 is unusable for me right now. Any new created resource triggers the "Project Modified" warning. And sometimes, when reloading, it deletes the latest created resource. It's a total mess.

Is there some way to rebuild the project file from the ground up based on the current resource tree? I think the project file may be corrupted or something. It's like if any change from the IDE is flagged as an external change.

My project was imported from GMS 1.x, so, is anyone having this issue with an imported GMS 1.x project?

Also, I wrote to Help Desk and I'm getting no reply.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We are working on a fix and adding more configurations to our testing matrix - we have a potential fix that seems to be working, we are doing more testing before releasing (it will not be released until next week at the earliest, but we have not decided if we will do a hotfix for this particular bug).

Russell

D

Dani

Ah, ok, those are good news! Next week would be ok to me, it's better to test this issue as much as possible.

G

goldenfetus

I'm having the same problem, and it's put me at a work stoppage. This ONLY happens when I change tileset resources or add new tileset groups, but it happens every time and causes several minutes delay. We have ~30 tilesets imported in compatibility mode, but I'm recreating each one as a new sprite AND tileset resource by manually shifting all the tiles right and down to make room for the mandatory extra space at the top left of each tileset. My system specs are:

Windows 7 - 64 Bit
AMD FX-8120 8 Core Processor
16 GB Ram
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
250 GB SSD

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
It's crashing when adding/changing a tileset? If so then file this as a bug complete with your UI.LOG file.

Or it's very slow when changing a tileset? Slow I can understand as when you add one, it has to go and generate a proper graphic from your input (generates a new image...boarders etc.). This takes a little time. Although... on an 8 core machine, I'd not expect you to notice.

G

goldenfetus

My issue is the same as Dani's in his first post, except that it only seems to apply to tilesets and sprites used as tilesets. Each time I change a tileset, or even add a new tileset group, a popup message tells me "The main project file has changed. Would you like to reload the resources, or save?" If I choose save, it takes 1-2 minutes to save and the output window tells me that it's saving 12,469 resources. There are a lot of resources in the project, but I don't think it comes close to approaching 12,469 unless every individual frame in each sprite was being counted, and even then it seems extreme.

GMS2 never crashes, it just forces saves that take a huge amount of time, proportional to what was changed.

D

Dani

Well, any news on this? I have a bit more info for you, after working on my project this morning (Windows 10 64-bit):

gms2-behavior.png

And the CPU use sometimes reach 25% when GMS 2 is on focus (doing nothing). What changes did you introduce in v2.0.4.64? Do you have a change log that could help you identify some problematic bits of code?

Thanks.

Ito

This problem persists.

Also, since the latest update, every time the GMS2 window loses focus, I get between 5-8 seconds of lag before being able to do anything on it again.
It did not happen before the update, granted.

Anyone else having this issue?

G

goldenfetus

This error is continuing to have a severe negative impact on the project I'm working on. Changing and/or adding resources is prohibitively time consuming, and it's now affecting all resource types instead of just tilesets. It's at the point where we have to consider either going back to GMS 1.4 - with the understanding that coming back to GMS 2 when it's functional will be more difficult since we need to create new rooms that will then have to be converted to the GMS 2 system manually - or putting our project on hold until this is fixed.

Fixing this, or letting us roll back to a working version as Dani suggested above, would be a huge help.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Yeah, I'm having this as well, and I literally just bought this laptop a few weeks ago.

Specs:
Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
intel i3 - dual core
6 GB DDR4 Ram
intel HD 520 Graphics
1 TB Hard Drive

DXDiag:

G

goldenfetus

For what it's worth, I just installed 2.0.5.72 and uploaded about 35 brand new sprite resources. I only encountered this issue once, so that's a massive improvement over the last version, for me. The one time I encountered this was when rearranging the new sprites in groups and dragging them to change their order. Thanks for the fix!

Russell: Yes, this current version released today, it was the first thing that happened once I loaded the YoyoRPG project up that I previously imported days ago.

Edited: Ya I tested it more v2.0.5.72, and it's happening all the time. I just go into GGS, make a small text change, click apply, then as soon as I click OK, the console says "saving 1 resources", then the dialog pops up Reload/Save. I go back into GGS, make a text change again like the product information field "RPG Test" to "RPG", and Apply/OK, then again the dialog comes up again. It happens quite alot.

Last edited:
D

DoreenDuvallWK

I have a lab full of computers that I am working with.
We have version 2.1.0.212 of GameMaker Studio 2.
Our computers in the lab are running
Windows 10 (64 bit)
3.60 GHz
16 GB RAM
On my personal laptop
Windows 10 (64 bit)
2.7 GHz
8 GB RAM
We are experiencing this error frequently and on every computer!
The lab is a young class that is learning Studio 2 and all of the games are small at this time.
The students are hitting both Reload and save intermittently.
Is there a fix?

gnysek

I have a lab full of computers that I am working with.
We have version 2.1.0.212 of GameMaker Studio 2.
Our computers in the lab are running
Windows 10 (64 bit)
3.60 GHz
16 GB RAM
On my personal laptop
Windows 10 (64 bit)
2.7 GHz
8 GB RAM
We are experiencing this error frequently and on every computer!
The lab is a young class that is learning Studio 2 and all of the games are small at this time.
The students are hitting both Reload and save intermittently.
Is there a fix?
disable source control inside IDE and use it only outside ? :)

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
We thought we had fixed this issue as it related to using non-NTFS drives for projects... what type of drive are the students using for keeping projects is it the local drive or some network drive - it is possible that the latency on that drive is causing the issue.

Russell

D

DoreenDuvallWK

We thought we had fixed this issue as it related to using non-NTFS drives for projects... what type of drive are the students using for keeping projects is it the local drive or some network drive - it is possible that the latency on that drive is causing the issue.

Russell
They are keeping their project on their computers local drive.
Doreen

gnysek

They are keeping their project on their computers local drive.
Doreen
Local, but what type of file system ? FAT32 or NTFS ? I've got HDD with 5400 RPM which is the slowest one and seen no problems with GMS2 saving, but maybe if disk is close to it's lifetime span, it causes issues (lot of error when writing data) ?

You can check this by going to "My Computer", right clicking on disk on which they save (probably C:) and selecting "Properties". Then, its visible just under disk label:

upload_2017-9-29_8-19-12.png

(sorry for different language, but it's in same place in all of them).

D

DoreenDuvallWK

Our file systems are NTFS. The lab computers are about a year old, all are similar to identical. I don't believe they all would be at their life span together and we are not experiencing any other errors, except for this one. My laptop is a few years old, but I haven't been experiencing any other errors either.

gnysek

Maybe, there's some program running in background, which scans files on disk. It may be antivirus / virus. Check apps in background using Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open task manager, and show "more details".

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
OK you can switch the file watcher off by doing :-

The file watcher frequency can be changed under Preferences -> General Settings -> Power Saving. File watcher frequency and Laptop file watcher frequency in milliseconds. -1 disables it entirely.

So switching it off will stop the message from appearing, but it means that any project changes (i.e. from source control) will not be reloaded without closing and reloading the project.

Russell

M

MariusArmand

I got an SSD and just had this problem emptying some of my scripts..
I pressed the reload button thinking it would have been the safer choice. It wasn't.

So it's an SSD in NTFS format.
The laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 320s.

I think it could be because of the real time antivirus protection by Avira.. I now added the project folder to the real-time protection exceptions..

Last edited by a moderator:

kupo15

I hate that dialogue box so much. It pops up from time to time for me usually when I do a rename swap between 2 codes. No idea why it happens sorry!

Try putting your project in a folder that is not linked to a cloud storage. It looks to me like your path has OneDrive and GMS has issues with any projects being worked on in cloud/online folders (eg: OneDrive, Dropbox, etc) as there are chances that the files are being changed by the online system.