• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Idea [Project Life RP] Roleplayers, what do you think?

M

MatthewL019

At this stage this is merely just an idea. I've still to make proof of concepts, and have only started making the base of game design document (which when finished, will be upgraded and made into a fully fleshed detailed design document, then I can start development). I'm not too sure if my idea is good or just complete 💩💩💩💩. In my head, it seems like it's going to be amazing.

Project Life RP is a top-down text-based player interaction game, which focuses intently on the valuable role-play aspect. A wide range of game modes will be available, along with the official 'Life' mode and potentially thousands of different community made game modes. With the Life mode being set in a modern era, players are met with a huge map with thousands of different places to explore with hundreds of exciting activities to take part in. Complete with a dynamic currency, government system, jobs, housing and much more, you can expect to make an impact across all official servers by playing your role. With 3 different role-play styles; light, medium, and hardcore, to suit your preferable play-style needs. Grind jobs for money, venture out from the starting city, and explore different ways to make money. Whether it be legal or illegal, such as wood logging or drug farming, you chose your path in life and what suits you most. Be aware though, protection ends as soon as you leave the starting city. You're vulnerable to other players who may very well have bad intentions. Group up with friends and take on different activities within the game mode, such as server events or role-play situations.

Here is the game design document so far - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qkvALk95bAnumuv3ZV5R1tgpdz52lLBs33kOwRqcw08/edit?usp=sharing

If you're interested in collaborating with me on this project, feel free to leave a comment.

K

Kestril

So here is some design critique I took a look at the design doc to get the game statement.

Project Life RP is a top-down game with a focus on text-based player interaction. Set in the modern era, players are able to play as any character they wish and lead a new life. With dynamic currency, jobs, housing, and thousands of different scripted activities, along with millions of different roleplay opportunities players will be spoiled with things to do.
That doesn't really tell me what the game does. What's the fantasy the game is conveying? How does the games intended design achieve that end. The focus is too broad right now to see if the mechanics you'll implement support that idea.

Uncharted sells the fantasy of being an Indiana-Jones style adventurer it backs it up with marvelous setpeices set to the tune of engaging gunplay. Closer to to this idea, Second Life sells the idea of a literal restart in another world and backs it up where you actually own and have agency over the things you buy in that universe. From the design doc and the original post, I don't really see the vision of the game, other than an RP platform. If that's you're intent, that's okay, but there are plenty of online forums that work as setting-specific RP platforms with some systems and rules of their own. To make it a game it needs a core hook or fantasy for the player that makes it interesting to pick up and play. I'm not getting that from the initial pitch.

So, as a player, what will I do? From the above quote and what you've written in this thread, I gather that "grinding jobs and making money" and "making more money" seems to be the core focus along with being "vulnerable to other players who may very well have bad intentions." I'd expand on that notion to make a concrete game idea and setting. Instead of a "do anything RP", make it a cutthroat business RP, where players leverage their assets (both legal and illegal) to advance to the top of the company, or infiltrate and take down their corporate rivals by any means necessary all the while dodging the attention of the Feds.

Take a look at nexus clash (formerly nexus war) or urban dead for small, text-based, RP games that do this sort of thing well. Both have a solid premise and fantasy for the player, are text-based , and use mechanics that support and encourage both the premise and RP!

I hope this feedback helps you along the way.