GMS 2.3+ Project errors out now.

I made a sequence for the first time. All was well. Until I put it into the room on the assets layer. Now, even if I take the sequence out and even delete the asset layer I cant even run the game.

This is all I get.
---------------------------------------


"cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\theat\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0389603s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: "C:\Users\theat\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE" started at 02/08/2021 14:04:34
"cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\theat\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0399583s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: "C:\Users\theat\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP" started at 02/08/2021 14:04:34
"cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.0.401"

elapsed time 00:00:00.0405324s for command "cmd" /c subst X: "C:\ProgramData\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\runtimes\runtime-2.3.0.401" started at 02/08/2021 14:04:34
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.3.0.401/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\theat\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\theat\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Harvest_fa_D07C3639_680D4CAC\macros.json
Options: X:/bin\platform_setting_defaults.json
Options: C:\Users\theat\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\will_1955896\local_settings.json
Options: C:\Users\theat\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2CACHE\Harvest_fa_D07C3639_680D4CAC\targetoptions.json
Setting up the Asset compiler
X://bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe /c /mv=1 /zpex /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /j=8 /gn="Harvest_fable1" /td="Y:/" /cd="Z:/Harvest_fa_D07C3639_680D4CAC" /zpuf="C:\Users\theat\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\will_1955896" /m=windows /tgt=64 /nodnd /cfg="Default" /o="Y:/Harvest_fable1_C0E7FB0_VM" /sh=True /optionsini="Y:/Harvest_fable1_C0E7FB0_VM\options.ini" /cvm /baseproject="X:/BaseProject\BaseProject.yyp" "G:\My Drive\Hobby Haus\Game Dev\Harvest\Harvest_fable1\Harvest_fable1.yyp" /preprocess="Z:/Harvest_fa_D07C3639_680D4CAC"
Found Project Format 2
Core Resources : Info - Blank IdReference found - could be that the project is corrupt.
Core Resources : Info - Blank IdReference found - could be that the project is corrupt.
Core Resources : Info - Blank IdReference found - could be that the project is corrupt.
Core Resources : Info - Blank IdReference found - could be that the project is corrupt.
Core Resources : Info - Blank IdReference found - could be that the project is corrupt.
Core Resources : Info - Blank IdReference found - could be that the project is corrupt.

Process is terminated due to StackOverflowException.
elapsed time 00:00:11.7084202s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.3.0.401/bin/Igor.exe" -j=8 -options="C:\Users\theat\AppData\Local\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2TEMP\build.bff" -v -- Windows Run started at 02/08/2021 14:04:34
"cmd" /c subst Z: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0382722s for command "cmd" /c subst Z: /d started at 02/08/2021 14:04:46
"cmd" /c subst Y: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0399593s for command "cmd" /c subst Y: /d started at 02/08/2021 14:04:46
"cmd" /c subst X: /d

elapsed time 00:00:00.0399591s for command "cmd" /c subst X: /d started at 02/08/2021 14:04:46
FAILED: Run Program Complete
For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window.
 

Nidoking

Member
Did you try cleaning the project with the broom icon?

I've cleaned a couple of corrupt projects by hand, but it's not an easy process, and it's hard to explain what to do. I would revert to the most recent backup you have from before this happened. If you don't have backups... well, you'll remember to do that with your next project.
 
Hmm just tried the broom and it does the same thing.
The " Core Resources : Info - Blank IdReference found - could be that the project is corrupt. " started after I switched to 2.3
 

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Moderator
If you are using source control, revert to the most recent commit. If you are not using source control, start using source control.
If you have any backups of the project, load the most recent one. If you are not keeping backups, start keeping backups.

Doing any of the above should resolve the issue and save you the trouble you'd otherwise have to go through to salvage this.


With the obligatory stuff out of the way...

I've dealt with this a few times across a few projects by other members of the community. Usually, that message points towards either the link to a resource or a resource itself being corrupt. Here are some things to try.

Before trying any of this, make a backup of your project so you don't accidentally destroy it while trying to salvage it.


Open your project file in a text editor and look for anything that seems "obviously wrong", such as a room reference pointing to a room with an empty name. Remove such lines.
Delete parts of your game's assets to try to localize which ones are problematic. Try different combinations of deleted resources and check if less errors are being thrown, both when loading the project file and running the game. That's an indicator that the resource you just deleted was problematic.
 
Top