• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Project Directory Modified

C

Chrotesque

Hey y'all!

I've been using the Beta for a good while now and I use an USB stick on which I save my project. At work (on my lunch break) I continue to work on that project and everything runs through that USB stick. At home I do the same with the same stick obviously, except for backing up my days work to make sure that I won´t lose much in an unforeseen event.
Now wih the last update GMS2 started to become quite annoying. I can change code all I want but the second I create a new object or event (everything that causes a new file to be created) I get the pop up "Project Directory Modified" with the option to "reload" and "save".
I don´t quite understand why this pops up, what difference does it make if the project is on my HDD or on my USB stick? These pop ups occur only when I work on the project from the USB stick.
Saving costs a bunch of seconds each time and god knows what reload does, if I lose work or whatever will happen - never dared to try it.

Any clues?
Tips? (apart from "dont use usb stick" :p)

Kind regards,
Chrotesque

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Recently we found an issue where on some devices the tolerance on the stored time for different file systems meant that it incorrectly thought the project had been modified, we are currently testing the fix that we have made and it seems to be holding just now, this should be in the next public version. I am not guaranteeing that this will fix all these woes, but it is definitely on the way to solving some of these issues that we have had reported.

Russell

C

Chrotesque

Recently we found an issue where on some devices the tolerance on the stored time for different file systems meant that it incorrectly thought the project had been modified, we are currently testing the fix that we have made and it seems to be holding just now, this should be in the next public version. I am not guaranteeing that this will fix all these woes, but it is definitely on the way to solving some of these issues that we have had reported.

Russell
Awesome, thank you for addressing this. I haven´t even thought about file systems. I might have a look at the file system my usb stick uses and maybe change that around, should the upcoming fix not help entirely.
Cheers! :)

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I suspect that if the USB stick is formatted with NTFS then everything would be good, it is the FAT file system that has less accurate time storage which was causing the problem.

Russell

C

Chrotesque

Thanks for the reply once more, I´ve had a closer look at the USB stick and it was formatted to exFat as per factory settings. I´ve changed that to NTFS and it works beautifully now once more. <3

Ewww, I absolutely HATE ExFAT, I've lost loads of files due to the file system becoming corrupted for no good reason, so yeah, good choice to go back to NTFS.

I thought it might be informative that I am having the same issue on my iMac while running Windows on Parallels. I can't make any changes to anything without it telling me "Project Directory Changed."

S

splashmatt

I also have this issue, but on a win 10 machine. I thought it might have something to do with moving my project around, but I just had it happen to me when creating a brand new project.

Cpaz

So it's only with the most recent update that I even knew this existed. Now is appears for no reason at all.

And it's getting old.

Fast.

(It's also a normal install)

C

Chrotesque

I was able to solve this myself by making sure the storage device used is formatted to NTFS, how about in your case? Can file format are you using?

C

Chrotesque

At least on Windows 10 it´s a simple matter of right clicking and selecting properties to find out what file format you have on that drive. I have the most up to date version of GMS2 at home and haven´t seen that issue reoccur after going from exFat to NTFS. So at this point I´d say to make sure you´re using NTFS first.

Cpaz

At least on Windows 10 it´s a simple matter of right clicking and selecting properties to find out what file format you have on that drive. I have the most up to date version of GMS2 at home and haven´t seen that issue reoccur after going from exFat to NTFS. So at this point I´d say to make sure you´re using NTFS first.
My C drive is indeed formatted on NTFS. So imagine this is a bug. It seems it just randomly decides while I'm editing a room to pop up with tilesets that supposedly have been modified.

But the worst is when I'm tabbed out of GM and tab back in to have GM not respond for a solid minute. Then it turns out all objects have been modified... Like, wut?

C

Chrotesque

I remember how infuriating it was and how much progress I lost every now and again due to it, certainly sounds like a bug to me as well then. :/

Cpaz

I remember how infuriating it was and how much progress I lost every now and again due to it, certainly sounds like a bug to me as well then. :/
Don't think I've lost any progress, but it's still annoying to have GM lock up on me for a solid minute or two.

G

Resurrecting this because I've gotten this error/notification in GMS2 2.0.7.171 runtime 2.0.7.110: "Project Directory Modified. Changes detected in project directory blah blah. Would you like to reload the resources, or save?"

And the file that was changed is in the "views" folder with one of those long unreadable names ending in .yy. This happened while I was faffing about organizing my script folders and doing a couple global find/replaces for script names. I.e., I wasn't doing anything with views.

Anyone else?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This message indicates that we have detected on disk changes to the files in the project - from the sound of what you said you were doing it was entirely correct in detecting that, so congratulations! you have a fully working copy of GMS2

Russell

W

wittynethandle

It looks like I'm getting a similar issue with projects on my NAS (ZFS, FreeNAS). Everything seems to be fine when using my local drive (Windows 10, NTFS), but using the NAS as a mounted samba volume keeps giving these directory modified dialogs.

EDIT: I'm using IDE version 2.0.7.171

gnysek

It's because of synchronization of files, their timestamps are changed while program is running. No other programs/sync tools should affect directory with project, when IDE is opened.

W

wittynethandle

It's because of synchronization of files, their timestamps are changed while program is running. No other programs/sync tools should affect directory with project, when IDE is opened.
I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but if so I fail to see what would be changing file timestamps.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
the problem is going to be the resolution of your filestamps (i.e. how accurate they are) we are expecting a tolerance level consistent with FAT and NTFS I am not sure what samba onto a ZFS drive uses, please file a bug and we will take a look at what is happening.

Russell

I'm getting this same issue, the window pops up pretty much every time I make any changes to objects or sprites. I'm running on Windows 10 through Parallels on a Mac, GMS2 Version 2.1.3.273. Is there any way to stop this happening?

Cheers,
Graeme

rIKmAN

I'm getting this same issue, the window pops up pretty much every time I make any changes to objects or sprites. I'm running on Windows 10 through Parallels on a Mac, GMS2 Version 2.1.3.273. Is there any way to stop this happening?

Cheers,
Graeme
Not sure if it would solve your issue, but you know there is a native Mac Version of the IDE? Maybe give that a try?

I don't think support offer any help when running through a VM.

Not sure if it would solve your issue, but you know there is a native Mac Version of the IDE? Maybe give that a try?

I don't think support offer any help when running through a VM.
Yeah I got the PC version before the Mac one was released, might have to look into that at some point when the funds allow it. Cheers.
G

rIKmAN

Yeah I got the PC version before the Mac one was released, might have to look into that at some point when the funds allow it. Cheers.
G
Unless you got Creators Edition, you can use either Mac or PC versions of the IDE - they aren't separate purchases they are both included.

I have an issue along the same lines but with Google Drive.

I never had any issues when using OneDrive so I was just putting it down to being a Google fault but thinking of it I did make the move the same time as the 2.1.3 update.

For me since the move, any project debugging from Google Drive will crash the IDE unless you do a manual save before hand. My temp fix has been to pause file sync before opening a project and turning it back on after I'm finished.

Hopefully the next patch will fix the issue or I'll probably have to move back to OneDrive at some point.

David Batty

I had this issue on my C Drive (NTFS) saving to the c:\dropbox folder, I assumed it was a Dropbox issue, then realised that Dropbox had not altered the .png files in question. If it helps, It did only start after a windows update to 1709 (OS Build 16299.309).

J

John566

I am getting the pop up "Project Directory Modified" now (Sept 2020) with IDE Version: 2.3.0.529 and Current Runtime: 2.3.0.401. I'm running Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. The project files are saved in documents on my system drive which is formatted as NTFS. There shouldn't be any other programs accessing or syncing these files. I'd don't have one drive, google drive, dropbox, etc. running. Any ideas?

Edit:
It is doing it when I try to copy an event from one object to another.

rIKmAN

I am getting the pop up "Project Directory Modified" now (Sept 2020) with IDE Version: 2.3.0.529 and Current Runtime: 2.3.0.401. I'm running Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. The project files are saved in documents on my system drive which is formatted as NTFS. There shouldn't be any other programs accessing or syncing these files. I'd don't have one drive, google drive, dropbox, etc. running. Any ideas?

Edit:
It is doing it when I try to copy an event from one object to another.
Post in the v2.3 thread here or make your own new thread and tag it as v2.3.

This thread is over 3yrs old and was (probably) using v2.0.x so none of the info or issues from back then are relevant to your issue. The OP is not even a member of the forum anymore.