• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Project conversion seems to have ruined my game?

H

HardFist

Today I installed the latest version of GameMaker Studio 2, and then when I ran my project it said it needed to be converted, which I did. But then when I tried to run the project, I got bizarre errors that I never got before. The game was running fine before this conversion. I'm really worried that my game is entirely screwed now as I had to uninstall the previous version of GameMaker to install the new one... I don't know what to do. The current error I'm looking at is during a script called from oInventory, in which the oInventory object is referenced... but the error says no such object exists which makes no sense given that the script is called from oInventory in the first place.

H

HardFist

Reading the detailed release notes of the update, it seems like the issue is how arrays work, and how scripts work now. The arrays thing I guess can be fixed relatively easily although still a drag. But scripts running when you first run the game, is completely at odds with how I've coded everything. That must be why it is finding an error with locating an object, because it's being run before there are even objects... so how do you get around that?

Last edited by a moderator:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If you made a backup before converting it, you can reinstall the old version and load the backup. If you didn't make a backup... next time you'll know better.

If you're looking for help with the post-conversion issues, please post the relevant code and error message.

H

HardFist

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have tonnes of backups don't worry. I have uninstalled the new version, reinstalled the previous, and I'm trying to compile my last version of the code before the conversion. For some reason it is now taking over 3 hours to compile which is insane.

I worry that if I continue with the older version of GameMaker that eventually it will just not function anymore and it will force me into the new version. Will that happen? If not then I am happy to remain on the older one... I have been working on this project for 3 years now, I feel sick to my stomach worrying.

If you made a backup before converting it, you can reinstall the old version and load the backup. If you didn't make a backup... next time you'll know better.

If you're looking for help with the post-conversion issues, please post the relevant code and error message.

Last edited by a moderator:

chamaeleon

I worry that if I continue with the older version of GameMaker that eventually it will just not function anymore[...]
What is your target platform? If it's one of the mobile platforms or OSX, you should definitely worry, in the sense that changes Apple and Google make changes from time to time that make it very difficult to proceed without updates to GMS. Don't expect 2.2.5 to get updates for things like this. 2.3+ is the update in that scenario. Windows is less of a concern.

H

HardFist

What is your target platform? If it's one of the mobile platforms or OSX, you should definitely worry, in the sense that changes Apple and Google make changes from time to time that make it very difficult to proceed without updates to GMS. Don't expect 2.2.5 to get updates for things like this. 2.3+ is the update in that scenario. Windows is less of a concern.
Thanks, yeah I am working on Windows intended to be played on Windows. I have been able to go back 2 versions and that is now allowing me to work on the project as normal. I just worry that because I have to be logged in for GameMaker to work, that one day it just won't be connected anymore and I won't be able to continue work.