• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Programming in GM2, Where do I learn more?

JRetrioX

Hi, I am an artist and I've been trying to get into programming in general. C++, Python, Javascript, The many options of programming language has been overwhelming for me to get into. That's when I discovered GM language, I heard it was great for beginners. There's DnD and GML, i know that much. So far I've been trying to make a platformer via GML but I want to understand GML in general. Where can I go to learn more?

S

Sarcasmonk

Shaun spalding is decent youtube tutorial for simple platformer. he does cut corners here and there so its harder to expand from what he has but its good for learning basics. def recommend just learning GML over DND just because theres alot more help for gml in general and once u know it its more flexible.

JRetrioX

Shaun spalding is decent youtube tutorial for simple platformer. he does cut corners here and there so its harder to expand from what he has but its good for learning basics. def recommend just learning GML over DND just because theres alot more help for gml in general and once u know it its more flexible.
Nice, at least I have a tutorial on platformers

flyinian

Hi, I am an artist and I've been trying to get into programming in general. C++, Python, Javascript, The many options of programming language has been overwhelming for me to get into. That's when I discovered GM language, I heard it was great for beginners. There's DnD and GML, i know that much. So far I've been trying to make a platformer via GML but I want to understand GML in general. Where can I go to learn more?
YouTube, internet searches, and this community are great places to learn GML.

Searching for solved forum posts on this community may provide a lot of information as well. I haven't had much luck with it myself.

A simple youtube search for, "GMS2 tutorials" will provide a decent overview whats out there.

One Youtuber that has new content that is nicely done is SamSpadeGameDev

Nearly everyone will suggest starting very small and simple and familiarize yourself with coding before advancing.

I hope this helped.