• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Job Offer - Programmer Programmer wanted for word game

C

cutch22

I have a word game similar to scrabble or boggle in graphics and complexity. I created a finished version in Abobe Flash 5 years ago, with AI and everything (I can’t seen to even get it to run now, but I do have the code.)

I remade it in Gamemaker 3 years ago - I created the art and the board and allowed a player to place letters. It recognized words, scored them and ran a celebration routine. But it had no AI for the computer opponent. I then got sidetracked with my job.

I revisited it last year in Gamemaker and found my code indecipherable, so I started anew - being more careful to label variables. I also set it up so that you can pick the size of the board before you begin. So in this new version you can place letters (though there are bugs) but it does not recognize words and score them yet.

I have the code for all 3 versions. I think clearly the third version is the one to work with (although you might want to start anew, I’m not a real programmer so I may have bad habits)

I work full time so I’d like to hire someone to tackle this project. I can pay. I image breaking down payment per task - or just paying hourly and seeing how that goes.

1) Clean up and debug

Get the movement of the tile smooth and accurate
Don’t allow tiles to be places off the board, or on top of other tiles, etc.
Work out the “swipe to flip” mechanism on iphone and android (We have a sprite of the tile flipping)..
Create auto zooming board?
Various other small fixes.

2) Create celebration script when words are made.

For every word that scores we need a particle emitter to start at the first letter and zoom to the last letter leaving a trail of stars or sparkles (with a swoosh sound) — There may be up to 10 scoring words per play, and the swooshes need to happen sequentially (at a rapid fire pace) but not all at once. I've actually already done this but it's clunky. I want something with real zip.

The score needs to tally not merely switch - that is we need to see the numbers count up at a rapid fire pace (they will likely be just a blur to the eye) we also need some sort of pleasing sound effect of this tally.

3) Add computer moves and Implement AI

My brother (a math professor) has various AI strategies mapped out - in fact we implemented passable version in Adobe flash a few years ago (Although it only looked one move ahead) We need a completed AI that will be adjustable in skill and offensive/defensive emphasis.

4) Add opening menus allowing player to choose options and create first play tutorial.

I can provide the art. I just need the functionality
Allow player to choose between 1-2 player
Allow player to choose computer opponent

5) Final tweaks and debugging, help porting it out

6) Create online multiplayer

You can email me at [email protected]