Portfolio - Programming Programmer: 4+ years experience with GMS/GML and published game on Steam (Ruin of the Reckless)

S

SpicyCrab

Hello.

(Edit:Title is now inaccurate, I have 5+ years of experience now. [Actually it's more like 6+ but who's counting?])

My name is Charles Webb, I have been working with Game Maker Studio for about 5+ years now. A few years ago, I released a project to steam called Ruin of the Reckless, it is well known and well regarded within the community. So far we have released to Steam, GOG, itch.io, and The Humble Store. Perhaps you have heard of it. (http://store.steampowered.com/app/516430/Ruin_of_the_Reckless/)

Here's a GIF of the game in action.

edit: Since then I have been working in Gamemaker almost every day. I have 5+ years of HEAVY GML/GMS experience working basically full time with the IDE.

edit: I also maintain a blog with articles about advanced techniques in Gamemaker Studio. My most recent article was about time dilation and delta time but I also have articles covering other topics.

I am familiar with the entire process of launching a Gamemaker game and running a Gamemaker based business, having run this Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1546117610/ruin-of-the-reckless-can-you-escape-the-tower), designed and programmed Ruin of the Reckless (which is a pretty technically impressive GMS game if I do say so myself...) , incorporated an LLC (partnership), handled community outreach, marketing coordination, wrote contracts, and pretty much everything else you can think of that has anything to do with independent 2D GMS design.

I am very familiar with almost every aspect of GMS 1.4 or 2, having worked with almost every tool, up to and including shaders, paths, external data files, DLL integration, and more while creating Ruin of the Reckless and while working on various freelance projects and prototypes.

I have dozens of satisfied clients so far (some of whom have graciously decided to post positive testimonials in this thread), and i'm happy to provide references upon request.

I am currently looking for freelance/contract work working on other titles, but am also available for tutoring, consulting (for design, programming, media campaigns, kickstarter launches), or whatever else you may have in mind.

Looking for paid work only. Please email me at [email protected], or reply here if you are interested.

Edit: I updated and added some new information since this thread was originally made quite a while ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Snayff

Just wanted to drop by and say that ruin of the reckless was awesome fun, fantastic work!

S

SpicyCrab

Hi guys, I just completed the 'main' project I was working on so I am available again for anyone interested!

S

Snayff

SpicyCrab is very knowledgeable and diligent. Well worth the money. He is also not afraid to tell me how wrong I am... but in a way I can appreciate! :p

S

SpicyCrab

Thanks for the comment Snayff! I have finished up some contracts and am available again!

K

kaleidx

Needed some help for a system for my project and had luck in finding @SpicyCrab.
He was knowledgeable and accommodating to my needs with a very fast turnaround and great communication all the way through.
I would highly recommend him for any project big or small!

I requested Charles Webb's services recently; He is polite, friendly---and above all, professional and thorough. He communicates clearly, and completed the task to perfection. Highly recommended! Thanks Charles!

V

+Veito

SpicyCrab,

I have sent you a PM. Please be on the lookout for it.

Thank you!

Gunnar Stephens
New Lands Audio Design and Production
972-357-7836

S

SpicyCrab

Bumping to let everyone know that I am open for contracts currently.

Vxss57

So how do you go about charging, an hour, per game, per script, etc.
Do you prefer to have assets ready to be assembled or its ok to feed you art assets as they get finished
Thanks

S

SpicyCrab

So how do you go about charging, an hour, per game, per script, etc.
Do you prefer to have assets ready to be assembled or its ok to feed you art assets as they get finished
Thanks
Hi there Vxss57, thanks for asking. Pricing really depends on the specific contract. For certain clients, they may want a specific 'black box' (meaning a self contained block of code that performs a specific task) created for their project, if they can tell me explicitly what they want, I am generally pretty happy to quote them a flat price.

For more general contracts, like people just looking for me to look through their project and provide pointers and tips to improve it, or if they want me to spend time going through the code and making general improvements, I would usually charge hourly. The more hours that a client can give me, the better a deal I can give them on hourly contract work. (Happy to discuss specific pricing figures via email.)

I have never charged 'per game', or 'per script, the closest I have come to that is for certain larger projects I contract 'per milestone.' So for some really big multi-stage projects where my client wants to very carefully control spending; we can agree on major project milestones and how much they should be worth, and I will go from there. Once we both agree that a milestone has been completed, the client will provide payment and I would move onto the next one.

I am pretty flexible; I can take assets and integrate them as they come, or I can wait for longer periods and do big asset drops all at once. Everyones' needs are different so one of the first things I will do with a new client is sit down (via skype, or discord, or email) and discuss their needs, their expectations, and what kind of pricing/work schedule will work best for them given my availability+pricing and their needs+budget.

Let me know if you have any more questions; and feel free to email me at [email protected] with further inquiries.

S

SpicyCrab

Oh hey, thank you! I have another one coming which covers elegant menu design. Once it's done I'll put them both up in the tutorial section. :)

D

Dibidoolandas

I just hired Charles to fix an issue with my game, and it was a very good experience. He responded quickly and turned the work around immediately, and took time to explain what he was doing and why. His pricing was also quite reasonable. Recommended!

S

Snayff

I have worked with Charles for around a year and I cannot praise him enough. If anyone wants a talented programmer with plenty of real, first hand experience in game development (including successful release!) and a knack for providing clear and straight forward explanations then you cannot go wrong with SpicyCrab.

S

SpicyCrab

Bump, I updated this thread with a lot of new information information and links to my tutorials and guides.

I am currently available for small contracts.

W

warbo

After 1 failed attempt to get my project done by someone else (still in dispute over a refund) i decided to give this section another go and hopefully find someone that is wanting to do some easy work and willing to communicate, step up @SpicyCrab

Great communication from the start and stuck to the agreed time line, i am sure he will offer some help with the project he did for me as well if i need it as it is a little advanced for my liking but it does exactly what i asked for.

Currently in talks for a second project with him, highly recommended!

Great job! Looking forward to doing some more work with you.

S

SpicyCrab

Okay, assuming you two are who I think you are I have replied to both of your emails. If you didn't receive an email from me please let me know.

R

RedLemon

I have tried to work with others on the Game Maker Marketplace for help but they never put time or the effort to respond fast enough. Luckily, SpicyCrab is the MAN that will take any free time he has to help you. He is pretty reasonable with the pricing depending on how complex the system or problem you are trying to achieve. Look no further and email this man for your Game Maker needs.

S

SpicyCrab

For the past year or so I have been working on major projects with some of my long term clients.

I now have some extra free time to work on new projects and I am available again for freelance work.

As usual, I have a laundry list of very satisfied clients and am happy to provide references on request. Please email at [email protected] or send me a private message. (email is better.)

S

SpicyCrab

As of today; I am once again available for contracts, so please get in touch if you'd like my help.