• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Program runs a lower framerate permanently

Hyomoto

Well, it finally happened. GM2 broke and it doesn't seem I can fix it any more. Or at least, I have no idea what I can do to fix it other than start a new project since it seems localized to my project. Here's the bug in action:

Here's some context, you are looking at a 94x38 pixel room with two objects, and yet, despite a real_fps of ~10,000, it cannot seem to maintain a frame rate of 48. I just have no idea any more. I mean, it's just my project. If I start a new one it works fine, this one however is apparently garbage. I tried clearing the cache, I tried restarting the computer, I tried even changing the way this stuff is rendered to the screen and then ... it went up to 44. Still not 48, but better? So I changed everything back. 44. Started the program: it was running at 44 instead of 32. So now it runs at 44 instead, despite actually having changed nothing. I mean, maybe if I keep this up it'll get back to 48?

I just want to find some way to isolate what is happening. I have more than 200 hours in project right now and for a bug like this to bring it all grinding to a halt is just maddening. I mean, is there NO logs I can check, NO numbers I can view? Nothing I can do to see why THIS project is so afflicted by this bug but other ones are unaffected? I'm clearly in the minority here but damn it, there has to be SOMETHING I CAN DO TO HELP GET THIS FIXED. Some troubleshooting step. Some output to read or submit. Right now I have no idea if it will ever go back to 48 ( I -could- set the program speed to 60 or so and then it would be about 48, since the slowdown seems comparative, not absolute, but that's not really a solution, is it?).

So I restarted my computer again aaaand, yup. Framerate back to 32. I have my Surface with me and a I strongly suspect it will have the same issue since this has been a problem for quite some time now. However, I guess the next best option is if it IS permanently borked, at least now it's reproducable to file a useful bug report. Hopefully it happens on your machines as well, though based on my prior interactions with the bug tracker, unless I can isolate 'the offending bit of code' there's no point. Unless the offending code is the forty lines or so that's running in that gif, I think I've pretty much isolated most of my work out of the equation.

Last edited:

Hyomoto

Yeah, so I tried a couple more things. I tried setting the game speed under options instead of changing it at runtime thinking maybe it's a flaw of changing it. No change. Then I thought, well, if it can't manage 48 frames. What about 24? Nope. Runs at 22. What about 12? Oh, 10. At this point I think it's safe to say that I'm not responsible for whatever is happening here. The fault is pretty evident, the game will not run at the FPS I give it. Why? Good question. Good god damn question. Then I thought, wait a minute: new projects work fine.

So I exported my project and then imported. And wouldn't you know? THAT fixed it. For now. Which kind of sucks, since in a way I was hoping it wouldn't since that means the bug I filed would actually maybe have isolated the issue. But nope, it seems this bug will continue to thrive and annoy me.

EDIT: Went back and tried the original program, which for about 6 hours now and despite countless restarts, re-installs and code changes has remained at 32, now runs at 48 again. What the literal hell.

Last edited:

Hyomoto

Setting it to 10 gets it up to 45, so apparently this is at least possibly related in some way. I appreciate it but that doesn't seem to be the fix entirely since it begs the question why did it work fine pre-update? I really do appreciate you at least offering something, this is unbelievably frustrating and it's honestly nice to just hear someone offer up something I haven't tried yet and yes it did yield results. Putting it up to 20 apparently is high enough the program runs normally again.

It's also apparent it must be related to something 'fixed' in this latest update since previously I could close the IDE and the problem would go away on but now it seems to persist. I guess hooray for consistency.

Last edited: