• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Job Offer - Programmer Procedural generation for 2D map

Xobiaria

Hello game makers.

I need the help of a programmer to generate a map depending on restrictions.

I do not need a functional level editor, but just the procedural generation feature of objects in a room by itself. The idea is to use this project as a source of inspiration for my main game maker project.

Useful information:

- The project needs to be in Game Maker 2 format, as I do not use any other software.

- It is ok for you to give me your Game Maker 2 project files (it will be used only for my own use and for sure never be shared anywhere, as I will use it only to have more levels concepts/ideas as explained before).

- The objects will be generated on the map using an X/Y squared grid (It would be perfect if I can have one version for 16x16 pixels tiles and one for 64x64, or the ability to switch from 16 to 64 while the project is running).

- Ideally, the room can be resized before a generation (example: 35 tiles length in X axis, 18 tiles height in Y axis).

- I imagine the way the restrictions are defined this way (free to change/improve, just for you to understand what kind of thing I would like) :
Any object can be set anywhere in the map, but only 1 object by tile. About the generation, an example would be "object01 can not be generated above or under object02 but it can be generated at the left or the right with 30% probability it happens, while object03 can also be generated at the left or right to object02 but with only 8% probability". Maybe it can check for diagonal directions too, it can work better but also mean more/harder work for the programmer.
The programmer will for sure know much more than me how to imagine the feature in the best way, that example was more to show what I meaned with restrictions. Maybe I will have to make a list of all the parameters/probability for the programmer or he will never guess what I want.

- The objects generated don't have any special code/feature, they will just act as pictures and nothing more. Their sprite can be one color (each object will have a different color so we can see "who is who"), it will be temporary until I apply myself the right textures to each object.

- [Optional]: To be able to export the room in a no loss quality image format (bmp, png, etc…). The exported image need to be in real size. As exemple, if the map size is 35x18 tiles and tiles are squares of 64x64 pixels, then the exported image will be 2240x1152 pixels.
Not vital but might help me and save me time if there is this feature.

The payment will be made via paypal. The amount will be defined together.

For more information or if you are interested in the project, please contact me at my mail : jules1chevalier[@]laposte.net (remove the [] symbols)

See you there.