• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Problems with sprite collision mask?

E

Evalina

So, I've been using Gamemaker Studio 2 for a few months to make a game for competition. I now have to revise said game which worked perfectly about a month ago when I submitted it for competition. Today, when I opened Gamemaker and tried to revise, my player character started to become stuck in random places not connected to any object and the ground object's collision mask seemed to raise itself by several pixels (pixelated style) when I would go from a side room back to the hub room. The only room that is doing this thus far is the hub room after I exit into a different room and go back, and I am curious if there is a bug with the collision masks or sprite origins where they will switch themselves during the game. I have had problems previously with my player character's sprite origin returning itself to 0,0 when it should be 16,16 upon reopening Gamemaker Studio after saving and closing it, but I haven't had trouble with it switching during testing the game previously. What should I do/ how should I fix it? Thank you for your time!

Mick

There are some collision bugs in the recent runtime version(s) of GMS2. You should be able to continue working if you rollback to the runtime version 2.1.3.189 (in the preferences, see the image, version 2.1.4.202 is selected in the image though).

upload_2018-4-13_9-1-50.png

E

Evalina

There are some collision bugs in the recent runtime version(s) of GMS2. You should be able to continue working if you rollback to the runtime version 2.1.3.189 (in the preferences, see the image, version 2.1.4.202 is selected in the image though).

View attachment 17701
Okay! Thank you, I will give that a try!
Edit: This works wonderfully, everything is back to the way it was. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Ggd07

So they roll out an update with collision bugs?

How does that even work? When are they going to fix them?

Why does this happen? .. Seriously.

How could you let this happen, YoYoGames?

The wait time for such ridiculous broken things to be fixed is extremely long.

So when will an update be rolled to fix what you broke? In about 6-7 months is my bet.

R

Rucksack

I have the same problem, it breaks my whole game. Reverting to the older GMS version like Mick said solved the issue. They seriously should fix this ASAP.

F

FYVE

Having the same issue. About to revert now... What a drag. Why would they roll outa broken runtime? This stuff is complicated though so I guess we can't give YoYo too much 💩💩💩💩. They can't test the thousands of projects out there to see if the runtime bugs them out.

**EDIT**

It seems the problem stems from updating. I was in the process of a fresh install when I made the comment above... Backed up my project, deleted GMS2 form my Mac, reinstalled GMS2 fresh, open the project and the newest runtime works fine now. Just thought I'd share in case anyone wants to update to the newest runtime.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Newest runtime should have fixed most errors with collisions, although I believe there is still a minor issue with collision masks and rounded coordinates (iirc), but that'll be fixed in the next update too, and it doesn't affect most collisions.

F

FYVE

Newest runtime should have fixed most errors with collisions, although I believe there is still a minor issue with collision masks and rounded coordinates (iirc), but that'll be fixed in the next update too, and it doesn't affect most collisions.
If you don't first delete GMS2 from Mac before updating it will break all the collision in your game. You need to first delete GMS2 then re-download and install the newest update and then it works fine. I've noticed a decent performance increase when exporting to iOS on the newest runtime.

clee2005

Hey @Nocturne is this rounded coordinates issue that you are talking about something like what I am still experiencing (shown in my post a bit over half way down the page : https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/gms2-version-2-1-4.45483/page-3) ?

I have to stick with 2.1.3.189 right now as .200+ breaks collisions for all our games currently.

Thanks,
Chris

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@clee2005 : It could be the same issue, yes, but I wouldn't like to say 100% that it is. Have you filed a bug? If not, then please do, as it would be better to be sure than wait for an update that may not 100% address the issue.

clee2005

@Nocturne I did file a bug thanks. I just haven't had it acknowledged yet. It's a blocker from moving forward to 2.1.4.200+ I can't even figure out a work around... just seems like the collision event doesn't fire for that object type (obstacle). The letter tiles are the same size, and inherit from the same base.

clee2005

Oh I may have found the issue. It seems my obstacle object (the one that the worm is falling through when it should be triggering the collide event) has it's sprite set dynamically in the create event, where the tiles do not. I set the image for the object in the IDE and tested and collision was detected properly. That's the bug I guess.... objects need to have an image set on it initially for the detection to work.

N

Nathan

View attachment 17701
I am not able to roll back my Runtime. I can install it but it gives me no option to use it. It automatically uses 2.1.4.203 I tried deleting the newest runtime and restarting GMS2 and it just reinstalls 203. How do you get the old runtime activated again?

Having a similar collision issue since updating was mandatory. I have invisible objects colliding with breakable objects that tell the breakable what content it should contain. Neither are solid. None of them are working unless they start on the playable screen. Once the screen scrolls and objects activate, the invisibles get activated but the collisions don't work.

N

Nathan

You need to double-click the runtime you want to activate, it's weird, usually double-clicking isn't used in settings etc.
Thanks that did the trick! I tried everything but that to get it to work haha.