Problems with finish_frame

G

Greg5000

Hi, I've got quite a frustrating problem on my hands.. I have spent a long time recreating my game from scratch to streamline it as the frame rate was getting quite low, it's an ambitious project but after painstaking efforts I managed to get my game to run at over 600 FPS which I have been thrilled about. Now tonight I have just allowed game maker studio to upgrade to version 1.4.1760, following this my frame rate has plummeted to around 70 FPS for no reason whatsoever. I haven't made any changes to the game and all of the global settings are still the same.

I have profiled the game in debug and it seems the game is now running 84% finish frame and 11% draw room under Do a step. This wasn't the case before upgrading, does anyone know what in the upgrade might have ruyined this for me? Thanks!

B

bojack29

In the profiler were you able at all to distinguish which object, if any, was hogging most resources?

G

Greg5000

Not a particular object, the GML is pretty light but it's the Finish_Frame under Engine causing problems as well as Draw_Room under DoAStep. I'm not sure why this problem has only reared it's head now that I've upgraded game maker studio, before running the upgrade I was easily getting 600+ FPS

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
in the profiler if you are seeing a lot of time being spent in the Finish_Frame then it means that you are GPU bound as it is having to wait for the GPU before it can submit the next frame.

Russell

G

Greg5000

Russell, thank you for your reply.. I have noticed thatm NVidia Geforce 940m gpu is showing inactive whilst I run the game.. could this be causing the big slow down and is there any way to tell the game to use the GPU? Not sure if I'm talking nonsense, just confused as the game ran at 600+ FPS before GMS updated.