• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM Problems in physical collisions: speed rising in collisions.

B

Bhreno

My obj_ball collides with some obj_blocks and deflects, this is working perfectly.
However, when the obj_ball gets caught between 2 obj_blocks and collides insistently between them,
the ball speed goes up during collisions.

I think it's something related to the value of pixels in meters (0.0625 my default), because whenever
i change this value I have a different answer about the speed increase of the ball.
How do I stop this acceleration during collisions?

For example, if a ball was created with a phy_speed 4, it must remain with phy_speed 4 regardless of collisions.

In the image, where obj_ball ends up gaining speed:
The obj_ball is between two blocks, and constantly collides between them, which increases its speed.
P.s: is physic.

Attachments

R

robproctor83

Hmm I forget the property off hand but I'm pretty sure physics objects have something to prevent them from losing speed on collisions. Also you might want to look into you walk objects, are they comprised of a bunch of tiny squares or are they long objects that extend the length of multiple tiles? I ask because in my experience if each tile has its own walk then objects that bounce off of them can seemingly hit a corner even if it doesn't look like it's possible. The issue is that when it hits a corner it can deflect things in strange angles which you wouldn't want

B

Bhreno

Hmm I forget the property off hand but I'm pretty sure physics objects have something to prevent them from losing speed on collisions. Also you might want to look into you walk objects, are they comprised of a bunch of tiny squares or are they long objects that extend the length of multiple tiles? I ask because in my experience if each tile has its own walk then objects that bounce off of them can seemingly hit a corner even if it doesn't look like it's possible. The issue is that when it hits a corner it can deflect things in strange angles which you wouldn't want
Yes, I just realized that it only speeds up when it hits one of the corners of obj_blocks. What can I do to resolve this issue?

B

Bhreno

and answering your question, there are several 32x32 blocks