• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Problem working on same project with 2 people

ophelius

I completely understand the need for source control, but I would like to find a way for me and my friend to work on the same project from 2 separate computers with the project folder stored in dropbox.

For the most part, there never was any syncing issues since we never touched each other's work/assets. I handled all the code and sprites, and he and I both worked on separate maps. GM synced everything no problem. When we both want to work on our own maps we make sure to create separate rooms with our name on it. But a couple of rare times, GM announced a vague syncing problem, reloaded the game, and 1 of our maps was deleted by GM. And if I try to re-import it from the folders, it says it can't.

If only I knew what caused the syncing problem we can continue this way since it worked well for the most part. It doesn't make sense since we never touch each other's work because of the volatile nature of syncing files that are being worked on by more than 1 person.

Any suggestions? I don't want to have to incorporate Git if I don't have to since we're only a 2-man team and he has limited computer knowledge. As long as I know what can cause these sync errors we can avoid them.

Thanks for any feedback

Aviox

I know this isn't the answer you're hoping for, but I would strongly suggest incorporating Git.
I'm also part of a 2-person team, and some sort of source control (like git) is the only real option.
Dropbox and other file sharing is not really built for handling code projects, as there's no built-in way to manage conflicts like you're describing.

Not only will Git help solve this problem, but with it, you can also revert to any version of your game at any point. It's like a massive undo button, if needed.
There are other features that also make it worthwhile, which you may not be as interested in.

For more info, I found this article to be immensly helpful for setting up Source Control:
https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/...-source-control-and-gamemaker-studio-2-part-1

Part two of the article (linked within) is also worth a read, just for a better understanding of what you're getting into.

The best part is, Git and Bit Bucket are free.
Let me know if you need any help and I'll do my best to offer guidance. It can be a pain to learn new pieces like this, but in my experience, it's worth it.

ophelius

I know this isn't the answer you're hoping for, but I would strongly suggest incorporating Git.
I'm also part of a 2-person team, and some sort of source control (like git) is the only real option.
Dropbox and other file sharing is not really built for handling code projects, as there's no built-in way to manage conflicts like you're describing.

Not only will Git help solve this problem, but with it, you can also revert to any version of your game at any point. It's like a massive undo button, if needed.
There are other features that also make it worthwhile, which you may not be as interested in.

For more info, I found this article to be immensly helpful for setting up Source Control:
https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/...-source-control-and-gamemaker-studio-2-part-1

Part two of the article (linked within) is also worth a read, just for a better understanding of what you're getting into.

The best part is, Git and Bit Bucket are free.
Let me know if you need any help and I'll do my best to offer guidance. It can be a pain to learn new pieces like this, but in my experience, it's worth it.
Thank you my good man, I should take the time to learn and implement it.