• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Problem with the cursor

O

OneOnline

Now I have a problem with the cursor - when I click on the text between the letters AB, my pointer is before the letter A. That is shifted to the left one character, it is very annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

OneOnline

I sent a bug report immediately. But he did not appear on the page.

Hyomoto

This has been brought up before and it's been shown that there is no definitive way of handling this. Some people are used to having the bias, but many programs do not use one. Hell, Chrome seems to have a small bias but only towards the extreme right of the character. If you know when you click on A it shifts to the left, you need only click on B. I'm not sure if there are plans to change this, but even if there is it is not a bug, it's just the way it works. Chrome highlights a word when you double-click it and the whole paragraph when you triple-click. GM2 does not. It's not a bug, it's just not implemented that way.

O

OneOnline

The GMS 1 it works like this: I click on the letter A. If I clicked on it just left of the center of the letter, the cursor is in front of the letter. If I clicked to the right, the cursor is on the right. This is convenient, because I'm not a sniper, I can miss. Now, between the letters AB, I want to put the cursor in between. If I accidentally touch the letter A, the cursor is in front of her. This is stupid.
I can somehow put an external text editor? This line I did not find in the settings.

Hyomoto

I believe you do find this to be a problem, but I'm saying you don't have to sniper because you know you have to aim to the right. The characters are a monospaced font, which means you have the entirety of the next character to use to aim with. I won't claim which method is better, just it isn't a bug and the workaround is incredibly simple. I admit this doesn't affect me personally so I'm a bit apathetic, but like I said: this conversation has come up before but I don't remember if @Mike or @rwkay put out some definitive response on whether or not it would be an option eventually. Still, it's a bit dramatic to call it stupid and assume you'll never become used to this.

All of that said, I didn't see anywhere you can specify a separate editor at this point. However, you can use an external text editor to edit the files directly from the project folder or even copy and paste into a text editor that does support your needs, make changes and then copy paste it back into GM. I admit those are just workarounds but if this cursor issue is as debilitating as you make it sound, you might find it viable and more useful than becoming accustomed to the way the cursor behaves in GM2.

O

OneOnline

Stupid I called this because this approach defies normal logic. Monospaced font, but it has nothing to do with his separation cursor. Wherever I have not tried to enter text (Visual Studio, Notepad ++, etc.), it always works fine as I used to, and many others. So why I am now must be retrained for the 1st code editor? Or, perhaps, the same Visual Studio and Notepad ++ do not work properly and must also be corrected? Or maybe the computers with which I have dealt with some wrong? It sounds stupid, like the text input method.
Although it may be for those who do not work with other editors it's okay, but I was confusing. I hope it is still correct, or at least give the choice of which method to use. Also please note that by default, in other editors, and indeed everywhere, given the input method, familiar to humans.

Hyomoto

I tested this in Visual Studio, Chrome, Notepad++ and it seems these programs treat the cursor as just right of where you observe it. Therefore, if you click the last pixel of a character it does indeed place the cursor to the right instead of the left. I went ahead and zoomed into Visual Studio 177% or so and did this test:

This is zoomed in a considerable amount. And at that these levels I can easily click anywhere I want to because the text is gigantic. At a normal 100% though, it's literally 1 pixel. GM2 doesn't have this behavior so, if this were a case of Visual Studio having like a 50/50 option I'd fully understand, but by default this is literally the last pixel and should not be a massive burden to 'relearn'. Especially if your text is this size. You aren't retraining anything, it's not logic, most programs don't have this feature and the ones that do it's 1 pixel. It's harder for me to target that pixel on either of my monitors than to just click on all that wild open space to the right of the character. The only time this would be useful is at really high resolutions and at that point it's more a problem of tiny text than cursor bias. If you can point me to the preferences option in Visual Studio or Notepad++ that let's you tweak this behavior to more than 1 pixel, I'll at least concede you might be accustomed to a higher bias.

O

OneOnline

1) Windows 10, 100% resolution.
2) All editors set Consolas font and size 16 - normal, comfortable size for me (although I usually use 14, but not now).
3) I do not use the scale, all 100%.

Red line - the maximum deviation to the left. Another 1 pixel to the left and the cursor moves to the left of the letter H.
When I said, "you have to be a sniper," that's what I meant.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: