GameMaker problem with keyboard_check, keyboard_check_pressed and keyboard_check_released

K

kafecadm

Hello:

Firstly I thank everyone for any support you guys could provide, I've been working with GMS 2 for a while now and It has been awesome so far. but right now I am a bit confused, I have the following code:

Code:
if keyboard_check(ord("X"))
{
    state = STATE.CHARGING;
}
else if keyboard_check_released(ord("X"));
{
    state = STATE.RELEASE;
}
else if keyboard_check_pressed(ord("X"));
{
    state = STATE.FIRE;
}
The problem is that if I hold the button it goes into the CHARGING state as it supposed to, but if i hit and quickly release it keeps going into the CHARGING and RELEASE states, and it doesn't attack.

I have compared my code with others in the forum, blogs, tutorials, etc and I know my code is coherent but for some reason it's not working.

I thank you guys again.

Regards

samspade

I'm a little surprised that code works. It doesn't seem like STATE.FIRE would ever be triggered. That said, there isn't anything wrong with your code, so it is probably with the states themselves. What do those look like?

If you want to see what code is triggering there, I would use some show_debug_messages: Using show_debug_message.

K

kafecadm

Oh boy... Well now I am more confued =S lol

according to GMS2 help

keyboard_check - With this function you can check to see if a key is held down or not.

keyboard_check_pressed - With this function you can check to see if a key has been pressed or not

keyboard_check_released - With this function you can check to see if a key has been released or not.

so following that logic I would comprehend that

Code:
if keyboard_check  // this would be true for every step the button has been held

else if keyboard_released // this would be true only for the step where the button has been released

else if keyboard_pressed // this would be true only for the step where the button has been pressed
Am I wrong in my logic?..

Regards

samspade

Oh boy... Well now I am more confued =S lol

according to GMS2 help

keyboard_check - With this function you can check to see if a key is held down or not.

keyboard_check_pressed - With this function you can check to see if a key has been pressed or not

keyboard_check_released - With this function you can check to see if a key has been released or not.

so following that logic I would comprehend that

Code:
if keyboard_check  // this would be true for every step the button has been held

else if keyboard_released // this would be true only for the step where the button has been released

else if keyboard_pressed // this would be true only for the step where the button has been pressed
Am I wrong in my logic?..

Regards
Yes, that logic is wrong. If else chains will stop at the first one that is true. So:

Code:
if (a) {
    //stuff
} else if (b) {
    //stuff
} else if (c) {
    //stuff
}
For b or c to trigger a must be false. If a is true, then b and c cannot trigger even if they are also true. So when you press a key, it is also held down. Unless GM handles key presses differently, this means that any time c is true, a is also true and therefore, you will never get to c.

You should reverse the order make it c, b, a (pressed, released, held). However, even that might not fix the problem depending upon where the problem is.

K

kafecadm

Ok my bad:

I ran several tests and I found out what you meant, when you hit the key both keyboard_check() and keyboard_pressed() are true only when in the next steps only check would return true... imma try to work on that logic and I'll keep you guys posted.

Tnx again for helping me man.

Regards

K

kafecadm

Hello and thank you again

I fixed it, not the most elegant solution but works for me... I just needed a bit of your input =P tnx again for the help

this is the final code

Code:
/* CODE FOR CHARGED BEAM
    if keyboard_check("X")
    {
       //  using the charging var i validate if the player has been holding the key for a while
        charging++;

// if so then I enter the charging state
        if charging >= 10  
        {
            state = CHARGING;   
        }
    }
     // if the player releases the key while in the CHARGING state then i reinitialize the charging varialbe and enter the desired state
    else if keyboard_check_release("X") and state == CHARGING
    {
        charging = 0;
        state = CHARGE;
    }
    else
    {
        charging = 0;
    }

if key_attack  // attack has been pressed
    {
         state = ATTACK
    }
So the real solution here is the delay due to the fact that keyboard_check_pressed and keyboard_check always return true for the first time you have pressed a key.

Thank you for helping me understand this.

Regards