• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Problem with keyboard check (vk_space) when moving Up Left

When 8-directional moving with my player and pressing Space key the wanted actions are performed in all directions but Up-Left (315 degrees). Does anyone know why there might be an error with keyboard_check (vk_Space) in only the Up Left position?

TheouAegis

Your keyboard doesn't support it. Choose something other than Space. I think CTRL works for me, but I don't remember.

Odds are very high that this is unrelated to GMS. Different keyboards have different ghosting issues, you can check yours here: https://drakeirving.github.io/MultiKeyDisplay/

If it is ghosting, nothing you or your users can do about it except buying a different keyboard (because it is literally that the keyboard itself does not register the key, not that GMS isn't registering the key).

My keyboard looks different that the one in the link that you sent
It shouldn't matter what it looks like, just test using the key combinations that you are using. I just did it with my laptop and found that up/left/space does not allow the space, but all other directions (up/right, down/left, down/right) do allow space. So I would suspect yours would be doing the same.

TheouAegis

Have you ever noticed when you play professionally made video games on a computer, very old games notwithstanding, that and nearly every single game they allow you to modify the controls? This is why they let you modify controls.