• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Problem with function call window in Space Rocks

N

Nick Winlund

There is a missing Argument field in Function Call on my Windows copy of Gamemaker. The Space Rocks tutorial shows two argument fields but I only see one field after dragging and dropping a function call over to the "Key Press - Up" Event. I'm working on the introductory Space Rocks program. As a result I have no pixel increments for obj_ship.

Function call is what you use, right? I was pretty careful about following directions in the tutorial up to this point. I *was* able to compile other Events like Key Down - Left and Key Down - Right to move in 5, -5 pixel positions respectively. Is the missing argument field a software bug?

This isn't happening because I'm using the trial version, is it? Screenshot is attached.

Attachments

Notice that the function in your project has a red background, and you have () at the end of the function name. That to me suggests that it is showing you an error as you have put motion_add(), but the tutorial clearly shows that it should be motion_add without the ().

What happens if you change it to just be motion_add, does it give you the full arguments?

N

Nick Winlund

Notice that the function in your project has a red background, and you have () at the end of the function name. That to me suggests that it is showing you an error as you have put motion_add(), but the tutorial clearly shows that it should be motion_add without the ().

What happens if you change it to just be motion_add, does it give you the full arguments?
If I use motion_add it still doesn't give me the full arguments. When I fully type in that function I get autocompleted answers and motion_add() is the one from autocomplete that matches.

Plus the sprite object only compiles when I use motion_add(), but the routine doesn't do anything with the Key Press - Up Event because the single Argument field is taken up by image_angle and I cannot put in another entry. I tried removing the existing Function Call window and dragging and dropping a new Function Call over but got the same thing where it is missing a field. This is odd.

TheouAegis

If I use motion_add it still doesn't give me the full arguments. When I fully type in that function I get autocompleted answers and motion_add() is the one from autocomplete that matches.

Plus the sprite object only compiles when I use motion_add(), but the routine doesn't do anything with the Key Press - Up Event because the single Argument field is taken up by image_angle and I cannot put in another entry. I tried removing the existing Function Call window and dragging and dropping a new Function Call over but got the same thing where it is missing a field. This is odd.
Try putting a comma between both arguments.

I'm almost home, I can check on it. But what version of gms2 are you using?

TheouAegis

There is a missing Argument field in Function Call on my Windows copy of Gamemaker. The Space Rocks tutorial shows two argument fields but I only see one field after dragging and dropping a function call over to the "Key Press - Up" Event. I'm working on the introductory Space Rocks program. As a result I have no pixel increments for obj_ship.

Function call is what you use, right? I was pretty careful about following directions in the tutorial up to this point. I *was* able to compile other Events like Key Down - Left and Key Down - Right to move in 5, -5 pixel positions respectively. Is the missing argument field a software bug?

This isn't happening because I'm using the trial version, is it? Screenshot is attached.
okay I watch the video and if you pay attention to the video he tells you what to do. There is a plus sign at the top left corner of the call function action. Clicked on that plus sign and it will add an argument.