• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Problem with DnD Function Call

Galactus

Hi there comrads i using your soft and i think this is one of the best engines i ever seen.
I started my own project, but i have one little problem with this soft.
DnD mode why when i using 'Function call' and i trying to write to a string any word with "" appears brown in the line and I cannot print anything
I'am so sorry if i write on the wrong topic.
I won't just to now what i do wrong, thank you for your attention guys.

Attachments

Nidoking

That's not a complete string. That's just one double quote mark. A string needs to have two double quote marks with something between them.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
If you are trying to actually write the " character then you need to use an escape character before it, eg: \". See here for more information: https://manual-en.yoyogames.com/GameMaker_Language/GML_Reference/Strings/Strings.htm

However, seeing as you are using the layer_get_y function, I'm guessing that it's a layer name you want to use, so simply having this "LAYER_NAME_HERE" will work fine. I've done this many times and there is no reason why it should error. Just make sure to use the DOUBLE quote " character and not the SINGLE quote ' character. :)

Galactus

That's not a complete string. That's just one double quote mark. A string needs to have two double quote marks with something between them.
If you are trying to actually write the " character then you need to use an escape character before it, eg: \". See here for more information: https://manual-en.yoyogames.com/GameMaker_Language/GML_Reference/Strings/Strings.htm

However, seeing as you are using the layer_get_y function, I'm guessing that it's a layer name you want to use, so simply having this "LAYER_NAME_HERE" will work fine. I've done this many times and there is no reason why it should error. Just make sure to use the DOUBLE quote " character and not the SINGLE quote ' character. :)
Thank you guys, i will try