• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Privacy policies and hosting for Android

M

mjmiller1824

Does anyone have a particular preferred service that they like to use for creating privacy policies? Google is telling me that I need to post a privacy policy or my app will be pulled. I'm using Heyzap and any data pulled is going through them. I'm not personally collecting anything. Also, assuming I get the privacy policy completed, does anyone have a preferred hosting site for their privacy policies? I can't imagine I'm the only one learning about privacy policies and the like for the first time.

camerakid

Hello There. I got the same warning for my application did you find a solution for that? Actually I have never created a privacy policy and I am not collecting any user data but not sure what game maker built in extensions are collecting. Any info on this?

Bingdom

Googledom
You can change the permissions on the extensions. I can't remember how but there is a way.

Check on their website on the permissions that do actually require.

7bones

1.Create a website (free one best)
2.Write on it something like "Privacy policy : Aplication is not collecting any user data" - of course if really not collecting
3.Make a link to that website on main screen in game
That is all

camerakid

Okay thanks guys. I can easily put there a dumb sentence that no data is collected.... however, I think it would be great to see a list from YoYo per platform / built in extensions (I don't use third party other extensions) what permissions are used so it would be much easier to create a privacy policy.

camerakid

So generally a game maker application with in-app would require the following permissions:

Telephone:
- read phone status and identity
Other:
- full network access
- GooglePlay billing service
- GooglePlay license check
- pair with Bluetooth devices (as I remember for some reason it needed to be checked during export to work at sometimes)
- view network connections

I believe the fact that a user downloads any application they need to be informed that in some form their data has been collected (in the GoolgePlay console you can see users who downloaded by country/device/age etc.) already that they downloaded the application. However, I am unsure if it is handled by GooglePlay/AppStore or do I have to include that too?

So anyone with any experience how would you include these in a generated privacy policy?

Bingdom

Googledom
You can skip all of this if you disable certain permissions on the extension.

I had the exact same problem with adcolony.
It was solved by following this.

camerakid

Thanks Bingdom, sure you can skip a few but you cannot skip ALL like the in-app options... The task is to create a privacy policy that works and not just putting there a dumb sentence or a blank url link.

So anyone with more experience on this would be nice to see.

Creating one with iubenda could have been a nice solution, however most of the needed privacy policy sessions like GoogleWallet need a pro membership... and its like 27 USD per application a bit crazy high price.

sman

The problem is that we don't know why and how the data is collected, as GMS is kind of a black box.

For example google tells me: "Your APK is using permissions that require a privacy policy: (android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE)."
OK but I don't know why nor when GMS reads the phone state. So how could I explain that in the privacy policy? Shouldn't it be the task of YoYo Games and extensions devs? Only them can explain what they do with each permission. No?

Last edited: