• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Price

Q

Qarak

Hi.

I see the price for the software is 99 $. This is the DESKTOP version, which lets you develop games and then compile, but only for pc. Then, there are other versions of the same Game Maker Studio 2. Web, Windows UWP, Android and iOS and the consoles.

If I get, let's say, the Web version, does that allow me to develop for Windows as well? What about the mobile version (which is 399 $)? Will I be able to compile my game on HTML 5 and Mac too? I don't know why, but 200 seems a huge price difference for only the target change, and wanted to know more.

Thanks

rIKmAN

I asked a similar question a few days ago, and was told that you will be able to "test" on whatever OS you are using (Windows / Mac or Linux) but will only be able to compile and create an executable for the target modules that you own.

Q

Qarak

I asked a similar question a few days ago, and was told that you will be able to "test" on whatever OS you are using (Windows / Mac or Linux) but will only be able to compile and create an executable for the target modules that you own.
Thanks. I searched for price but couldn't find much.
Well desktop version it will be then :rolleyes:

Hi.

I see the price for the software is 99 $. This is the DESKTOP version, which lets you develop games and then compile, but only for pc. Then, there are other versions of the same Game Maker Studio 2. Web, Windows UWP, Android and iOS and the consoles.

Thanks
When you own one version of Game Maker Studio 2 and purchase an add-on, such as exporting to the web, then you don't end up with TWO versions of Game Maker Studio, but one that has the ability to export to BOTH Windows desktop and the Web. In this manner, you can keep purchasing these add-ons to get all the functionality you want/need.

At least this is how it works with GMS1. ;)

Q

Qarak

So these add-ons cost 2 times the base version? That's what worried me in the first place
Wait actually more than 2 times, 100 -> 400

Yep. But if you need them, they are worth the price. If I am creating a game I plan to sell and want to make it available on multiple platforms, then the asking price is not really that much ... not to be able to easily export to a platform that will make me money.

Think of it this way - YoYo sells you the "base package" at an entry level rate. It gets you in the door. But the package is full featured, allows you to create games, and also allows you to export to the huge audience that uses Windows based PCs. But once you've gotten the "base package", if you want the extras, you're going to have to pay for them.|

Also, you can look at it this way - Everyone will purchase the base package. So, YoYo can make money and pay their bills off sales of this (hopefully). But not everyone will need the other exporters. For example, I don't think I will get the iOS version ... not until I need it. Some people are fine with just the Windows desktop version.