1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Price (US$) for art?

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Guitarmike, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Guitarmike

Guitarmike Member

Hi,
    I can do no better than programmer art and I'm working on a promising project that will need better. What does it typically cost to hire an artist to develop a sprite sheet with maybe 7-8 different animations? I don't want to get ripped off. How is payment typically made? Any other advice on how to manage this type of collaboration would be much appreciated.

2. Vether

Vether Member

This is just my thought/opinion:
    If it takes them 8 hours to draw... you're looking at least 8*(15 + skill level + fame?).
    I could see it costing a few hundred dollars.

3. Widget

Widget Member

Usually if someone is up for commissions they'd have prices listed somewhere. Honesty I don't think there is a standard, I've seen them vary widely. For a single coloured piece I've seen $30-120, more than twice if it's animated, but since the illustrations themselves are pretty small that would likely significantly reduce the cost. Typically for more professional-looking artwork it would have one of the higher price ranges, of course.

Also it's pretty common for artists to just ask "How much you got?" and put the appropriate amount of effort into it depending on how much you give them.