• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows pressing run but doesnt?

M

Mercavez

Well this is my first time using game maker (and first time posting in a forum in general) but i ran into a problem during the coding tutorial. i followed all the instructions from part one for telling my sprite to move. however when it came time to test it out and run it, nothing happens. like literally i press the run icon, F5, and all i get is an empty bar in the output tab. i decided to try running a previous game i made with the help of the DnD tutorial, but that's deciding to not run as well. i'm sure the answer is really simple and i'm a noob for asking but i just wanna know what i'm doing wrong.

tldr; i press run but wont run

J

Jake Cage

Well this is my first time using game maker (and first time posting in a forum in general) but i ran into a problem during the coding tutorial. i followed all the instructions from part one for telling my sprite to move. however when it came time to test it out and run it, nothing happens. like literally i press the run icon, F5, and all i get is an empty bar in the output tab. i decided to try running a previous game i made with the help of the DnD tutorial, but that's deciding to not run as well. i'm sure the answer is really simple and i'm a noob for asking but i just wanna know what i'm doing wrong.

tldr; i press run but wont run
Please show a photo or logs.

Haven't seen that message before, but I quite often found that when I would save and then hit F5 the run would not happen unless I saved for a second time and then hit F5 again. Have you tried saving a few times and then hitting F5, or cleaning the cache before attempting to run?

Q

Quazeye

From another thread...

Tankwars said:

Ok, finally managed to get it to work.

For those still having issues (Windows users), try going into C:/ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes. Delete every single runtime version in that folder, then launch GMS2. The software will install the latest runtime version automatically, but will for some reason now work when you test your projects. Hopefully it doesn't somehow come back again. :cool:

If you don't see the ProgramData folder, you will need to enable 'show hidden files' in windows explorer.

rIKmAN

i'm embarrassed to say i don't know how to get there.
Copy the path: C:/ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes to your clipboard.
Open My Computer and paste it into the address bar and hit enter.

You will need to "enable hidden files/folders" in View > Options > Change folder & search options > View (tab) > Show hidden files and folder" if you want to be able to see the ProgramData folder and navigate there like you would any other normal folder.

No need to be embarrassed, we all had to learn - every question is easy if you already know the answer! :)