• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Prepping project for transfer to GMS2?

A

Andy

Any information on how GMS1 projects will be imported into GMS2?

Will it do things like:
- Convert old D&D to code.
- Move depth variable (set in object properties) into the create event.

Or will we have to do that manually?
I am just curious as I am going to prepare my project for the eventual transfer. No complaints if I have to do it manually, just don't want to waste time if that will be handled by GMS2. :)

Things I know we will have to do:
- Stop using the old background and tile system.
- Replace instance_create with the new instance_create_depth

Also, I am loving GMS2 so far, really happy with the product.

GMWolf

aka fel666
There are a bunch of compatibility scripts available. (Look through the GMS2 program files.).
When importing, GMS2 will include the required compatibility. (I think mike mentioned that...).

Hyomoto

It's likely best to complete your project in 1.4 and start your next one in GM2 if you have made significant progress. However, you asked the best way to prep for it and that's easy, read up on the GM2 FAQs and see what has been depreciated and what has been added. Though GM2 will build you compatibility scripts, it's important to know what those scripts are going to be. Those FAQs are pretty thorough and should give you a good idea of what you'll need to change. The good news is that GM2 is also surprisingly similar when it comes to GML so code heavy projects should be pretty easy to fix up, if not time-consuming. However, large changes like the removal of backgrounds as a resource, the new D&D systems, and the way instances and rooms are handled now will need to be addressed and the best way to know if that affects you is to read up!

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
I never saw any program transition like this. Even 8.1 to gms. I can't remember anything about the process. But by what i'm reading here since wednesday, I believe it will take 2 or 3 more months before we can efficiently work on something seriously with gms2. How much progress can you make to a game in 2-3 months vs the benefit of using gms2?

Hyomoto

Starting from scratch you can get started right away, but if you want to transfer something over it may take some more work. I don't see the value in being hopelessly pessimistic about it when continuing on with GM:S 1.4 is a perfectly viable alternative. It wasn't a simple transition from 8.1 to Studio either and the time it takes is wholly dependent on the project. As for the benefits, the value of GMS2 is going to depend on the user. There are people who used 8.1 for years after Studio came out and some probably still do. The same goes here. There's no requirement to upgrade and it's probably a better idea to finish any projects you have going on than port them over anyways.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin