• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Distribution Preferred Platform For Your Game

B

Blackened

Web (HTML5) without a doubt! Games are so accessible on the web, and GameMaker's HTML5 module has the added bonus of working on mobile devices so you can remain outside of the Apple/Google native app ecosystem if you want. It's incredibly easy to reach millions of players (I have reached 50,000,000+ total plays).
I would "like" this comment more if I could. I especially like the concept of working outside the google native app ecosystem. @True Valhalla You inspire me.

F

frog

PC desktop, because that's what I always enjoy the most and it doesn't require anything other than the computer I already own, and web tech is volatile.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Normal PC executables. Has been around since the dawn of time, still has no real major flaws.

PC because people buy the games.

Publishing to Android was an uphill task at the time. There was little to no current information when I had to do it. Even then, including Google Play Services seems like both a chore and a detriment. Leaderboards want access to people's phone contacts for friend leaderboards, so people think the game will do something malicious and they don't install it. Making games for HTML5 has yielded nothing except more work. The export has never worked that well for me. Plus I can't say that any gaming experience is better on the web / HTML 5. Perhaps people don't want to run a .exe or they have Mac and can't.

M

MishMash

Standard PC/Mac/Linux executable, for a number of reasons:

- Raw performance: PC games are the fastest possible platform, meaning you can make the most of the graphics rendering pipeline and really squeeze out every ounce of performance (as in many cases, higher performance can lead to a smoother/better experience if your game is sufficiently complex).

- Stability and consistency: A normal PC platform is very consistent in that the environment wont really change whilst the user is playing a game, nor is the running of the game directly dictated by anything else (ignoring intrusive programs like anti-virus software), meaning no interruptions, options for full immersion and consistent expectations of external hardware such as a mouse and keyboard, so that you can design your interfaces and interactions to be as clean and easy as possible whilst also supporting a good range of input.

- Scale: If you want to make a game which has a large number of high-quality assets, or generates larger save files, the size of file that is acceptable for web-based distribution is far far far smaller than what is acceptable on a desktop. Similarly, loading for even moderate sized games can take longer and is entirely dependent on the users internet speed. People's access to your game also relies on access to internet and that your server can handle the volume of players you may be dealing with.

-- Same holds true for console platforms (PS3/4, XBOX), though for slightly different reasons and those platforms do also do a better job of being more optimal in cases, and also disconnecting you even more from external distractions.

I personally don't like HTML5/Mobile platforms, though that is more to do with the style of game I prefer to develop. I dislike those other platforms, mostly based on their "loose" feel. For example, phone's and web browsers are very interrupt-able platforms. Catered well to short-playtime games that you can play in bursts, but I don't really like the casual gaming style for my main gaming. Sure, I play mobile games whilst waiting for the bus or sitting in a waiting room, but when i'm at home, I much prefer an experience that is a little more immersive and disconnected, regardless of what the game is.
My biggest pet hate with HTML5/flash games is how easy it is to accidentally close a game. It sounds like that's more my problem than a problem with the platform, but there will be times i'm playing a web-based game (turn based chess for example) and i'll click onto my other monitor, briefly forget about the chess tab and mass-close a chrome window.

Note that I don't think the platforms are bad as such, I think the platforms do a great job for what they are, however it's more that for me, the use-case doesn't line up with what I want to create :)

H

HW.

For me: it is definitely Google's Android mobile platform (my specifically preferred one, might be not suitable for other people choice).

I can play the game anytime, anywhere. It applies not only for my little indie game development but also for all AAA mobile games that i want to play myself by other developers (e.g. i play Clash Royale on Android phones, i always get happiness to the max by playing it everyday, LOL).

Although, the Android development process sometimes is tough or complicated and challenging, but i love it to do it because i am now a mobile gamer (totally). I already discard all the hardcore games (PC/Consoles) already, i just can't find time to play them these days.

Android device needed to play is also relatively small (smartphone) and it is in fact also more affordable enough for the majority of people on earth (than dear iOS devices, LOL :p). Android also gives value for money hardware specs than other devices needed to play some video games. That's the pluses too for me, for my own preference. :D