1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Preferation of GM8 > GMS2!

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Red Phantom, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

I've been working with gamemaker 8.1 lite.

I just bought gamemaker studio 2, the permament licence.

I realise I like the functionality of gamemaker 8 much much much much better than gamemaker studio 2, e.g. the sprite editor is preferable for me and all the tabs are just easier and everything. I find shaders and all the extra-things which I have no use for in my game - also just get in the way.

I'm now considering also getting the gamemaker 8 (yes the old) full licence, HOWEVER, I want to make sure and ask:
    1.there is no watermark with the full version executable?
    2. this does not appear upon loading with the full version executable?
    question.PNG
    3. this does not appear upon closing the full version executable?
    question2.PNG
    Even if 1,2,3 are good, does anyone strongly suggest against gamemaker 8 full version?

2. cgPixel

cgPixel Member

You can't buy GameMaker 8.1 anymore.
    So, there is no choice between GM 8.1 and GMS2 ;)

3. Psycho_666

Psycho_666 Member

Try finding GM Studio 1...
    I used to waste my time with GM 8 back in the day and now that I have Studio1 I can say it's pretty similar. For 2D games at least.
    There are some massive improvements, but honestly I think you will be pleasantly surprised by GMS1...

Red Phantom likes this.
  4. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

can you send me a download link?
    and tell me how to get full version?

5. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

There is no way to legally purchase GameMaker 8 at this point, as licenses are no longer being sold.

That aside, I strongly suggest not to use old GameMaker versions as they are known to have compatibility issues with newer versions of Windows.

GameMaker: Studio 1.x can be downloaded from your YoYo Account as long as you own a valid license to use it: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/downloads
    Licenses are no longer being sold. Customers used to be provided with 1.x licenses upon purchase of GameMaker Studio 2, but this is no longer the case.

Therefore...
    There is no way to legally purchase GameMaker: Studio 1.x at this point, as licenses are no longer being sold.

Your options are to use Game Maker 8 Lite or all available license types of GameMaker Studio 2.

6. DukeSoft

DukeSoft Member

You're going to have to get used to the new workspace setup... There are some settings in the IDE that can make it better, but its nowhere near the old and nice setup with the loose windows. Its something I'm annoyed by as well. Sorry :/

You have to know that performance and possibilities are much better in GMS2 though...

JeffJ and Red Phantom like this.
  7. Red Phantom

Red Phantom Member

Ok this clarifies things, I may just continue working in 8.1 lite then when I'm finished manually tranfser all resources to GMS2 to remove the watermark.

8. 11clock

11clock Member

Between those two versions, the one I prefer is neither.

(Why do I still browse these forums as someone who ditched GameMaker 3 years ago?)

9. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

So you can leave snarky comments about an engine you don't even use of course!

lolslayer, BattleRifle BR55 and RujiK like this.
  10. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Is GM8 Lite even still around legally? Kinda feels a bit weird if GM8 would be possible to download from an official source but GMS1 was removed...

Either way, GMS1 is basically GM8. GMS2... still not really feeling it myself.

JeffJ and Red Phantom like this.
  11. Psycho_666

Psycho_666 Member

Well, let's be honest. If my old hard drive haven't died I would still had legally obtained GM 8.1 lite back in 2010 or something...
    But I bought GMS 1 and I'm quite happy with it and don't plan on moving away.

12. DukeSoft

DukeSoft Member

May I suggest you start moving now? You will run into trouble (things that behave slightly different, such as view and camera's) and you will have to change some stuff here and there to make it more performant. You might as well get used to GMS2 right now, and while working on new features in there, you're debugging your conversion.

As for editing images - stick to GM8.1. The image editor in GMS2 is in my opinion the 2nd worst image editor to ever walk the digital realms of IDE's. Photoshop being 1st.

13. Gunner

Gunner Member

May I ask how is photoshop ranked the worst?

14. Psycho_666

Psycho_666 Member

Have you seen the thing? It's the least user friendly software I have used since Fruity Loops Studio back in the day...

15. Gunner

Gunner Member

Elaborate, not conclude

16. James222

James222 Member

Psycho_666 likes this.
  17. lolslayer

lolslayer Member

James222 likes this.