pre-game character customization

P

piksil_demon

the video below shows about what i want, a selection of multiple body parts, and clothes to allow the player to have a unique character to play as.
problem is, i have no idea where to even start on this. would it be to much to ask someone to slap together some sample code so i can get an idea of the goings on with this?

Bingdom

Googledom
My approach would be to use as little objects as possible.

So i would have 1 character object and a couple of sprites for the clothes

I would do something like this

CREATE EVENT
Code:
hair = 0;
shirt = 0;
pants = 0;
shoes = 0;
DRAW EVENT
Code:
draw_self();
draw_sprite(SPR_Hair,hair,x,y-10);
draw_sprite(SPR_Shirt,shirt,x,y);
draw_sprite(SPR_Pants,pants,x,y+5);
draw_sprite(SPR_Shoes,shoes,x,y+10);
Then have buttons to add the variables by 1, and the image will automatically change. ;)

Also, make the sprites white, if you want to change the colours. You can change the colours using image_blend.

P

piksil_demon

My approach would be to use as little objects as possible.

So i would have 1 character object and a couple of sprites for the clothes

I would do something like this

CREATE EVENT
Code:
hair = 0;
shirt = 0;
pants = 0;
shoes = 0;
DRAW EVENT
Code:
draw_self();
draw_sprite(SPR_Hair,hair,x,y-10);
draw_sprite(SPR_Shirt,shirt,x,y);
draw_sprite(SPR_Pants,pants,x,y+5);
draw_sprite(SPR_Shoes,shoes,x,y+10);
Then have buttons to add the variables by 1, and the image will automatically change. ;)

Also, make the sprites white, if you want to change the colours. You can change the colours using image_blend.
that actually works great, i can set up this code to play in room 1. any idea how i would change just the color of the iris foe the eyes?

Bingdom

Googledom
I think the easiest approach would make them separate from the sclera, and make the sprite white, with a image_blend. There are a couple of shaders out there(i think) that would replace certain pixels but that might be more difficult.

P

piksil_demon

I think the easiest approach would make them separate from the sclera, and make the sprite white, with a image_blend. There are a couple of shaders out there(i think) that would replace certain pixels but that might be more difficult.
seems a bit complicated... ill probably just set up a different selection for both of them. thanks as always for the help :D