• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Pre-compiled GML extensions!?

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
EDIT1 : I just realised it is possible hide functions while developing extensions!!

So to my second "REQUEST"...

there could be a way to pre-compile.. extensions... this would prevent people from making copies of the work of others... a market where people can copy-paste others work (clone with little to none edit) ... and offer them for free is not really a market.

Last edited:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
there could be a way to pre-compile.. extensions... this would prevent people from making copies of the work of others... a market where people can copy-paste others work (clone with little to none edit) ... and offer them for free is not really a market.
I was thinking about suggesting this time to time, but there's little sense - may as well just apply some heavy obfuscation, since if the computer can still execute it, it can be reverse engineered.

Additional trouble is that VM does not seem to have anything for combining multiple chunks of bytecode (meaning that compiler would have to be modified just for this) while HTML5 would require compiling GML to JS (which is not far off from original GML in the looks).

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Well we better tell the thriving community built around JavaScript that they do not really have a market....

Seriously I disagree with you, if you want to protect your work then obfuscate your code before uploading it, but in general I think that sharing your work with others and allowing them to help and fix issues when they can is healthier as an eco system.

Now you can point fingers at me as I work for a corporation who disagrees and protects the code we build, but in general it seems to work for the Web / Javascript community.

Russell

L

Laurent57

Or code dlls, which is more difficult to modify if the common user just knows GML...

Well we better tell the thriving community built around JavaScript that they do not really have a market....

Seriously I disagree with you, if you want to protect your work then obfuscate your code before uploading it, but in general I think that sharing your work with others and allowing them to help and fix issues when they can is healthier as an eco system.

Now you can point fingers at me as I work for a corporation who disagrees and protects the code we build, but in general it seems to work for the Web / Javascript community.

Russell
Wouldn't it then make sense to allow people to decide for themselves then?

It seems to work for the Web / Javascript community, but it doesn't work for YoYo, and maybe it doesn't work for me. I'm not sure why YoYo would say I don't need it, when they don't know what I need? :confused:

EDIT: Just want to make clear that I understand both sides, but overall I'm pro-option.

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
OK we do not plan to support pre-compiled extensions - I am not saying that you do not need it (or that you don't want it) we just do not plan on supporting it.

I am not sure why you are asserting that this does not work for YoYo???

Russell

Perhaps a mis-phrasing on my part, but I was referring to this part of your post:
...Now you can point fingers at me as I work for a corporation who disagrees and protects the code we build...
The open approach "doesn't work" for YoYo. Am I misinterpreting this?