• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

PRDebugConsole: A premium real-time *DEBUG CONSOLE* for GMS 2.3+.

ConsoleScreenshot2.jpg

Hello everyone!

We are developing a premium real-time debug console for #GameMaker 2.3+.
Please enjoy this entertaining demo preview! Feedback is most welcome!

(Note: The following video features the console with it's previous prototype "AMOS Pro" skin. :))

Attachments

Last edited:

curato

You kind of burry the head line with the list of feature at the end. personally a list of the features your console does offer would sell it a lot better than the the trailer. I honestly had to pause the video to read the feature list at the end. The game he is working on looks cool enough but I would highlight your features more IMHO.

You kind of burry the head line with the list of feature at the end. personally a list of the features your console does offer would sell it a lot better than the the trailer. I honestly had to pause the video to read the feature list at the end. The game he is working on looks cool enough but I would highlight your features more IMHO.
Hi, and thanks for the feedback. You are absolutely right! There will be other videos to come that "sell" the product more. This video was meant as more of a teaser, a cool little taste of things to come just to raise awareness. The bulletpoint feature screen at the end was a last minute addition that people can read about if they wanted a little more info.

The game in the background, by the way, is the YoYo Games demo "YoYo Dungeon".

Screenshot.jpg

Development of our PRDebug module (which contains the PRDebugConsole that you see above) is progressing nicely.

In the image above, you can see the console in the lower half of the screen, and it has received a new coat of paint. Those lovely pixels were created by super talented artist/programmer Lapper, and it replaces the previously borrowed "AMOS Pro" look that we had going.

What is PRDebugConsole? More details are forthcoming but basically:
  • It is a super-helpful real-time debug console that overlays over top of your running game.
  • It is meant to assist you in debugging your code, analyzing runtime variables and objects, and testing your game. It can even help you with your level designing
  • Can be called up and dismissed on demand with the F1 key (this can be reassigned).
  • It is a command line interface featuring short commands as well as mouse navigation with tons of shortcuts to reduce typing.
  • Easy to install and uninstall.
So what can it do?
  • Examine & modify variables in real-time. All variables! Including globals, object instance member variables, arrays, structure member variables and even data structures like DS Lists and DS Maps!
  • Click directly on your in-game objects to select and view its data in the console.
  • Take screenshots of your game with the click of a button (or a typed-in command.)
  • Examine & modify room, view and camera properties in real-time. Hide/show views, move/rotate the camera, etc.
  • Toggle drawing of instance bounding boxes with 1 simple command.
  • Hide, unhide, destroy and create object instances with the click of the mouse (or command).
  • Activate/deactivate object instance with ease, in real-time.
  • Includes a Gamepad tester tool that allows you to view input feedback from any of the gamepads that you have connected, as well as modify some of the gamepad properties such as axis deadzones and button thresholds, in real-time.
  • Add watches to your favourite variables with ease, including watches directly on DS structure contents!
  • Pause/unpause your game.
  • And much more!
The PRDebug module also includes:
  • An ASSERT function that you can use to further bullet-proof your code.
  • A replacement function for show_debug_message() that outputs your messages to the screen using coloured text.
Built for GameMaker Studio 2.3+
Stay tuned for more.

Questions:
This is a tool that we believe you wouldn't want to live without. What do you think?
Is this something that you think you would use and love?
What features would you like to see?

Sudo

Yeah it looks great honestly. And Lapper was a perfect choice for the artist...he's really talented. I'm just looking forward to the release now!

Yeah it looks great honestly. And Lapper was a perfect choice for the artist...he's really talented. I'm just looking forward to the release now!
Thank you very much, @Sudo ! I was really pleased with Lapper's work on the UI. Keep watching this space for future updates!

rIKmAN

The new skin looks good but I think you should keep the Amos Pro skin as an option or cool retro easter egg! :)
That turquoise colour was disgusting and hurt my retinas back then but man does it bring back the nostalgic feels of growing up with my Amiga learning to code!

The new skin looks good but I think you should keep the Amos Pro skin as an option or cool retro easter egg! :)
That turquoise colour was disgusting and hurt my retinas back then but man does it bring back the nostalgic feels of growing up with my Amiga learning to code!
Thanks, @rIKmAN! Keeping the AMOS Pro skin as a feature is certainly tempting, but I wouldn't want to inflate the extension's size more than it needs to be. Besides, the new skin's format, with it's overhanging button style doesn't lend itself well to the tight rectangular fit of the AMOS Pro style, so I would actually need to include additional custom code to support the AMOS Pro skin.

I actually thought the AMOS Pro colour scheme was pretty cool. Bright and vibrant. Definitely a departure from the muted greyscale colour palette of Workbench 2.0. But I'm with you regarding the fond memories of coding on the Amiga. I miss those days sometimes. :)

rIKmAN

Thanks, @rIKmAN! Keeping the AMOS Pro skin as a feature is certainly tempting, but I wouldn't want to inflate the extension's size more than it needs to be. Besides, the new skin's format, with it's overhanging button style doesn't lend itself well to the tight rectangular fit of the AMOS Pro style, so I would actually need to include additional custom code to support the AMOS Pro skin.

I actually thought the AMOS Pro colour scheme was pretty cool. Bright and vibrant. Definitely a departure from the muted greyscale colour palette of Workbench 2.0. But I'm with you regarding the fond memories of coding on the Amiga. I miss those days sometimes. :)
The new one does look much better, I'm just a sucker for the nostalgia that turquoise brings back. :)
Also miss those days, much simpler but also more exciting in many ways - the vibrance of youth certainly helped too!