GameMaker PowerPoint Resolution Scenario

T

TreysterGames

So, when I was working my project I realized that one of my rooms rendered into the project at a very low resolution level, despite the fact that outside of GMS2, it has higher quality. I was kinda confused by this, I wasn't sure if it was because my friend made it in PowerPoint or if it has to do with the way GMS2 sees the image. So, I was just wondering what I could do to fix the quality of the image, or if we needed to just find a new application to design sprites in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Do you have a view that's much smaller than your screen, or worse, have a different aspect ratio?

T

TreysterGames

Do you have a view that's much smaller than your screen, or worse, have a different aspect ratio?
I don't believe so, my image is 1552 x 712, so I made my room size the same ratio as the sprite. I did no scaling within Gamemaker Studio itself.
I do have viewports/cameras though

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Then you need a minimum texture page size of 2048x2048 if you don't want your image to be mangled down.

Also, the size of your viewports and cameras matter. For example, if you have a 200x200 camera and a 400x400 viewport, this is a 2x scale-up. Your viewport and camera should have the same aspect ratio if you don't want uneven stretching, and the same size if you don't want any scaling at all.

T

TreysterGames

Thanks! So does this mean that it wasn't PPT, or does the application still come into play when it boils down to resolution of the sprite?
Before and After so you could take a glance.
Before Import.PNG

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Your "after" image is zoomed into the left part of the image, there's clearly scaling involved. Whenever scaling or rotations not at multiples of 90 degrees is involved in raster graphics, this means pixelation and quality loss.

T

TreysterGames

I did use the camera viewport option, and it covers 776x712 of the screen, do the cameras affect game quality?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Why would it not?

If your viewport is 776x712 and your camera is not also 776x712, the image captured by the camera would need to be stretched to fit. That means pixelation and quality loss.

I have also never heard of a 776x712 screen. If you force your game to fullscreen, that's another stretch to fit. That means more pixelation and quality loss.

Topics like this demonstrate why novices in graphics programming should memorize standard resolution sizes and aspect ratios.