Posting gifs on the forums?

Hey all!

I wanted to post some animated gifs here for my devlog but I don't know what's the best way to do so. The forums only allow very light images and I tried embedding from Google Drive and my own hosting but it "encountered problems" while uploading.
The simplest way I found so far is to embed a Tweet but that's... not perfect.

How do you go about that?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Use LiceCAP to record Gifs and then upload it to Imgur.

Then click here and get the link that contains the ".gif" at the end.

Then, just put it here on the forum using this:

Remember to remove the tags from the link.
Example:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tM4eidt.gif[\img]
https://i.imgur.com/tM4eidt.gif

Result:

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
you dont have to copy the bb link

you can just right click the image, copy image address and use that, without going through menus and such

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
you dont have to copy the bb link

you can just right click the image, copy image address and use that, without going through menus and such
Does not work for long gifs (videos)
Unless you want to use the .mp4 embedded and get that weird thing.

gnysek

Gifs deserve to die.
Interesting fact: gifs are able to store more than 256 colors if image is divided into segments and each have own pallete, but lot of software isn't able to display it and rather thinks it's an animation.

Gradius

WebM/mp4 would be much nicer. Alas.

Much smaller file sizes, no restrictions on color depth so no ugly banding or dithering, and the potential to play audio (if the user unmutes it). Come to think about it, the site does support embedding giphy (if not gfycat so maybe that works...

A very off-topic not-gif for a very on-topic experiment:
Well... it's WebP, so that's at least a bonus over a pure GIF.

Karlstens

I capture image/animations with the app ShareX, which then push the data to Gfycat, with the link set in my copy/paste command once uploaded. Gfycat allows either the animation to be shared on various forums, or you can get the thumbs-size_restricted.gif link to use everywhere else. Works well!