• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows posting a demo without sound is a good idea?

R

rayz021993

Hi guys

I just made a crowdfunding for my video game which almost ended after 2 years with gms, but I was thinking if it was a good idea to publish it without a DEMO since I did not want to release it because I would not have music, and the music of the game is why I do the crowdfunding in kickstarter to be able to buy independent music licenses, I ask them what would you have done ?, take a demo without sound ?, or wait if my crowdfunding is successful to publish a demo with sound ?,

W

Widget

It would be much better if the demo has sound, if it still has SFX but no music that's slightly better. Either mention very clearly that the music's not done, and in the meantime you can put in royalty-free music.

M

Misty

In my opinion, music more important than sfx in terms of game jam and have to pick 1 or the other.

D

dannyjenn

I haven't used crowdfunding sites before, but I was under the impression that the demo is what motivated the people to give you money in the first place? If you post no demo at all, or a demo without sound/music, then nobody's going to take your project seriously. What you're supposed to do, as I understand it, is spend what little money you currently have on sound for just the demo. Then people play the demo, they like what they see, and they give you money so you can finish the project. If you post the demo without sound, people are going to think it's lame and they won't care whether or not you finish the project.

B

Bayesian

The solution to this is to do closed testing. Make it a tier.

S

Sn3akyP1xel

I have just added some sound fx to my game (no music yet) and the difference with just a few key finalized (and regularly used) sound fx is massive.
The general public who don't dev' games can be quite critical, so it's better to give them something to relate to rather than nothing. For funding, you need to impact people imo to trigger their enthusiasm.

If you were posting to get feedback on your project, I would recommend posting it in a dev' forum, as the dev's generally understand this predicament and will see past the lack of sound to the potential.

RizbIT

in a game sounds are a crucial element, they set the mood, emphasize events in the game. Unless its a silent game, but doubt it.
try sourcing some music just to start with for your demos then add more as you need