Post BAD stuff some developers do when making games...

K12gamer

I'll start...

So many potentially good game apps (in Microsoft store) ruined by ads.
Some of the ads have inappropriate content...(guns and boobs).
Some of the ads pop up so frequently...they make the game crash or stutter.
Some of the ads are deceptive (similar to malware)

Example: I wanted to install a fun game (Monster War) on my young cousins PC...but a deceptive ad
that wanted you to click on it and update drivers kept popping up. (I've already updated all the drivers.)
The real BAD part of this is...the developer doesn't have a paid option to get rid of the ads like
some apps do.

G

Guest User

idk part of me feels like this is just going to come down to things no competent dev would do anyway?*

not putting in an exit button or putting it button behind several menus.
*E: i just remembered this video as an example.

Last edited by a moderator:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
My question would be...does the developer know how bad it is? I know often with ad services, you don't know at any given time what ads are going to display. I also know some ad sources are worse than this kind of thing than others, for example I don't think you are going to get guns and boobs with google ads in a kids game. If the developer has been notified, and nothing has changed, then I'd just avoid anything made by that developer, bottom line. First though, I'd give them a chance to fix the problem(especially if the game seems like fun). It may not be their fault(then it very well could be).

JackTurbo

Im with ya @hipstercapitalist Especially on pc releases. Let me quit out of the game completely from the pause menu. Don't make me:
pause - quit to menu - confirm - loading - quit game - confirm

Like seriously, i gonna alt+f4 long before I've jumped through all those hoops

K12gamer

idk part of me feels like this is just going to come down to things no competent dev would do anyway?*

not putting in an exit button or putting it button behind several menus.
*E: i just remembered this video as an example.
I agree...Games that keep asking you (Are you sure you want to Quit) 2 or more times before you can actually exit.
Also...games that don't allow you to simply press the ESC key to Exit and use weird keys to exit like F4....
or use a weird combination of keys to exit like ENTER first...then Z...then ESC

Another BAD thing...Porting a Touch Tablet game like SUBWAY SURFERS to the PC...and forcing players to swipe
the screen using their mouse to move (instead of simply offering Keyboard controls as an option)

Z

zendraw

there was also this game, your a guy in space and you kill stuff, change planets, kill more stuff. and there you also had to swipe with the damn mouse, then i wondered WTF did they do it this way, and i checked and its a port...
so yea, controlls are the thing for me.
another example that just entered my mind is some metal gear game i tryed, and it had a BILLION controlls. how do you play this thing? it will take me hours to get used to the controlls only.

A

Alex Lyons

To put it all in general, the only thing a developer can do bad is to not think of the player.

ElectroMan

Jack of All Shades
Honestly, I can forgive most of these, which just happen to be minor nuisances in the whole scheme of things. I am much more bothered by more subtle mishaps that are littered throughout the mechanics of the game but can potentially ruin the experience. Things such as inconsistent game flow (balance between player skills and game difficulty), unavoidable damage (which includes sudden death traps only avoidable using precognition), intrusive interventions by the developers (such as "hold-your-hand" style tutorial levels), inconsistent game logic between cutscenes and actual gameplay, etc.

I'm sure you can find multiple examples of each of those offenses for the purposes of illustration.

W

Wraithious

Not using os_powersave_enable( false )

Can't exit game with back button (android) esc key (windows)

Ads that serve no purpose in the game, at least give a reward for watching it, or just put one add in the opening screen of the game

Music creation apps that have pauses between the sound sample loops, useless.

Oh and the biggest pet peeve, all white start up screens! at night time starting up a game and getting blasted with a bright pure white screen is hell on the eyes

Last edited by a moderator:

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
unavoidable damage (which includes sudden death traps only avoidable using precognition), intrusive interventions by the developers (such as "hold-your-hand" style tutorial levels), inconsistent game logic between cutscenes and actual gameplay, etc.
All of those are personal pet peeves of mine. I outright detest several games for basically holding your hand through the entire game so there's no sense of exploration and freedom, which in particular feels annoying when you've been a long-term fan of the series and you already KNOW everything the game's trying to teach you. PokƩmon and Zelda are key examples of games that just get more and more handholdy the longer the series has been running, but I'm sure Assassin's Creed and those military shooters and whatever kids play these days are no exception either. Respect the player's intelligence and let them learn via gameplay rather than via textboxes...

K12gamer

Making the 1st boss the hardest boss in the game.
A boss so hard that 90% of players never get past it to see the rest of the game.

Or...not putting save points near a boss...Ex: ALMA in Ninja Gaiden (Original XBOX)

G

Guest User

The single worst thing a developer can do when making a game is to not finish it.
unless it's another one of those dern newfangled military shooters the kids are playing, the less of those getting published the longer Yal will live by the looks of it.

0.Bytes

When games have ads when I play, I try to play offline if it is possible, works almost everytime ! No ads at all !

B

Brodux

When games have ads when I play, I try to play offline if it is possible, works almost everytime ! No ads at all !
Quite a lot of mobile games though will refuse to work without an internet connection, solely because it cannot load ads.

K12gamer

Quite a lot of mobile games though will refuse to work without an internet connection, solely because it cannot load ads.
Some websites are starting to do similar things...if you have AD BLOCK enabled (Pop Ups appear warning you to turn Ad Block off)

Another Bad thing in games that makes me angry...
Long, boring (unskippable intros)...especially in games with no save points...forcing you to watch the same long, boring
intro everytime you play the game.

E

Erdrickgr

Decide to make youtube tutorials as they learn, rather than mastering something and then teaching it.

Reactions: Yal
F

fxokz

is no one going to state the obvious? SEASON PASSES, DAY 1 DLC MICROTRANSACTIONS, CUT CONTENT these have been plaguing a large portion of games nowadays.. there are even microtransactions in SINGLEPLAYER games (deadspace 3 and shadow of war)...

A

AnonyMouse

I dont like the way most developers are doing the things - like children who are imitating someone. Almost everything is the same. The flashes - everything is blinding - a congress of the welders - nasty! Nothing different. That is everywhere, in cars also, websites, etc. Cliches.
RTS genre transformed into browser tamagochies, 3d with nasty perspective camera where the centered units are topdown as points and these in the side are like almost horizontally, dirty realtime colors, ugly lowpoly models, heavy graphics with poor gameplay, huge files, etc.

K12gamer

Game makers who test their game more than coding it
A.k.a: me
Even worse...Gamemakers who don't test or optimize their games...and release games
that look like pic below....but run slow unless your PC has specs like this...

Windows 10
i7 processor
8GB RAM
1080p Radeon RX 580