GameMaker possible to draw game on two monitors?

L

lord_berto

Hello. I have two monitors, and I want to draw my game to both of them, but I want to
control which elements show up on monitor 1 or 2. so for example, i want all the hud elements to be on monitor 1, and the actual game on monitor 2.

I know how to use surfaces. but I don't know if im utilizing all of game maker's functions/tools.

lets say im building some sort of level editor. perhaps the gui can be its own application in one monitor, and communicate with the other application in the other monitor. but is it possible to somehow have both programs start in full screen at different monitors at the same time? and launch them both from 1 exe. ?

any help/alternatives would be great. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
The usual way of handling this is to make a borderless window that spans multiple monitors.

An extension by me allows to get multi-monitor desktop width/height/x/y (see doc, capture mode 1 -> measure), but for testing purposes you may very well just hardcode the size/coordinates or allow to specify them manually.

This a neat idea, but is this what you're wanting in the final product? Are you intending to distribute the game?

If so, some players (possibly majority) may not have dual monitors so this wouldn't really work for them.