Possible to animate a sprite when drawn?

T

TTJ

Hi,

I'm drawing some lives sprites and thinking bout having them animated. But its look like you can only assign a subimage?

• Wow
Reactions: Mut
P

ParodyKnaveBob

Howdy,

If you can assign a subimage, then perhaps you can create a sprite with multiple subimages and .. assign the different subimages in sequential order, animating it? $:^ ]

If you need more help, just say. ~nodnod~

Bob

T

TTJ

Wouldn't that overcomplicate things? Might be easer to just spawn the instance right?

Code:
var xoffset = 48;

for (var i=0; i<lives; i++){
    draw_sprite_ext(sLife,0,(room_width/2)-48+(xoffset*i),(room_height/8*7),.7,.7,0,c_white,1)

}

S

SyntaxError

draw_sprite(); will animate the sprite assigned to the object.
If a draw_sprite_* function has a sub image argument, set it to -1 or image_index to select the current sub image which will increment based off of the image_speed.

T

TTJ

Hmm, okay tried that. Sprite has 4 subimages but only shows the first one. From does it gets the image_speed since you can't assign it in the draw_sprite command (right?)

S

SyntaxError

You can assign image_speed in the create event or modify it anywhere. Are you drawing multiple sprites in the draw event with draw_sprite ? Checked previous sentence and it doesn't matter.

I made a test project and added 2 multi sub image sprites, set image_speed to .5 in an objects create event and assign 1 of the sprite to the object. In the draw event I used draw_self() and
draw_sprite(sprite1, -1, x+20, y+20); and both sprite animated.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TTJ

Ah i see now.

I have image_speed turned on in the create event, but its also drawing itself. So thats why it probably didn't animate the sprite it was drawing.

So that works now! Thanks

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Sure, it could be easier. It depends what you seek. It can certainly be more efficient for one controller to draw a few little sprites than for a few more instances to sit in the room.

Code:
// Macro
X_GUI_OFFSET = 48;

// Room Start
index_lives_anim = 0;
// assuming for variable room sizes, or else these could be macros, or all put together in an enum
x_gui_lives = room_width div 2;
y_gui_lives = room_height div 8 * 7;

// End Step
++index_img_lives;

// Draw
var i = 0;

repeat (lives) {
  draw_sprite_ext(sLife,  index_img_lives,
          x_gui_lives + X_GUI_OFFSET * (i++ - 1),  y_gui_lives,
          .7, .7, 0, c_white, 1);
}
EDIT: Nice, four posts before my reply. $F^ J

A

Aura

You probably want to animate a sprite that you have drawn with the help of draw_sprite_ext() and has not been set as the sprite_index. In that case, you can keep a variable, increase its value in the Step event (reset its value to 0 if necessary) and use it as the image index argument of the function.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

True @ what Aura said. (In fact, there are multiple areas where my code example could be more optimized, but I was just trying to show the core concept of manually animating something while fitting it to the original code, adapted.) As for drawing the lives as such, you could even make things simpler by having one obj_lives controller with sLife as its sprite (and image_xscale and image_yscale set to .7 in the Create Event) and then just loop drawing the number of things in the Draw Event using draw_sprite (instead of the _ext function).

T

TTJ

You can assign image_speed in the create event or modify it anywhere. Are you drawing multiple sprites in the draw event with draw_sprite ? Checked previous sentence and it doesn't matter.

I made a test project and added 2 multi sub image sprites, set image_speed to .5 in an objects create event and assign 1 of the sprite to the object. In the draw event I used draw_self() and
draw_sprite(sprite1, -1, x+20, y+20); and both sprite animated.
Hmm, it does work in new object. I trying to do it in my Controller Object, perhaps there was something else going on.. :)

Thanks for the insight everyone!

N

Neeroke

A common misconception is that the animated sprite will not be animated by the draw event. Becuase if you type:
(note sprite_001 would be replaced by the name of your sprite.)

draw_sprite(sprite_001, 0, this.x, this.y);

it draws only one sprite subimage number 0. So people try and fix this by building their own counters and increasing the subimage every step. BUT you do not have to do that.

instead if you type in:

draw_sprite(sprite_001, image_index, this.x, this.y);

the sprite will automatically be animated by the engine. This might seem simple but many people miss this (including me, I used to try and animate manually in the draw event.) Because I thought that in the manual when it said image_index it meant I had to enter the index number of the subimage:)

Happy coding:)

In my case, I draw_sprite(); and wanted to animate it before it gets destroyed. So i followed the above to do so.

Source: http://percsich.hu/tgmforum/index.php?topic=711.0

Another thing to keep in mind, if you use 'image_index' in the 'draw_sprite' function, and the instance sprite has a different number of subimages then the sprite you're trying to draw, it will not animate correctly. Example: You instance has a sprite with only a single subimage, and the sprite you are drawing has four. If you simply use image_index, then the sprite you are drawing will only ever show the first frame, because Studio is automatically wrapping the value of 'image_index' to the number of frames in the instance sprite. The solution is to create your own index variable and increment it yourself, and using that to draw the sprite. @ParodyKnaveBob showed that in the code he supplied.